Parking a trailer on double yellow lines

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found this for you😁

General (rule 238)

Rule 238

You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone) – see ‘Traffic signs’ and ‘Road markings’. Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs. You MUST NOT wait or park, or stop to set down and pick up passengers, on school entrance markings (see ‘Road markings’) when upright signs indicate a prohibition of stopping.

Law RTRA sects 5 & 8

Parking (rules 239 to 247)

Rule 239

Use off-street parking areas, or bays marked out with white lines on the road as parking places, wherever possible. If you have to stop on the roadside:

do not park facing against the traffic flow

stop as close as you can to the side

do not stop too close to a vehicle displaying a Blue Badge: remember, the occupant may need more room to get in or out

you MUST switch off the engine, headlights and fog lights

you MUST apply the handbrake before leaving the vehicle

you MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for cyclists or other traffic

it is safer for your passengers (especially children) to get out of the vehicle on the side next to the kerb

put all valuables out of sight and make sure your vehicle is secure

lock your vehicle.

Laws CUR regs 98, 105 & 107, RVLR reg 27 & RTA 1988 sect 42

Rule 239: Check before opening your door

Rule 239: Check before opening your door

Rule 240

You MUST NOT stop or park on:

the carriageway or the hard shoulder of a motorway except in an emergency (see Rule 270)

a pedestrian crossing, including the area marked by the zig-zag lines (see Rule 191)

a clearway (see ‘Traffic signs’)

taxi bays as indicated by upright signs and markings

an Urban Clearway within its hours of operation, except to pick up or set down passengers (see ‘Traffic signs’)

a road marked with double white lines, even when a broken white line is on your side of the road, except to pick up or set down passengers, or to load or unload goods

a tram or cycle lane during its period of operation

a cycle track

red lines, in the case of specially designated ‘red routes’, unless otherwise indicated by signs. Any vehicle may enter a bus lane to stop, load or unload where this is not prohibited (see Rule 141).

Laws MT(E&W)R regs 7 & 9, MT(S)R regs 6 & 8, ZPPPCRGD regs 18 & 20, RTRA sects 5, 6 & 8, TSRGD regs 10, 26 & 27, RTA 1988 sects 21(1) & 36

Rule 241

You MUST NOT park in parking spaces reserved for specific users, such as Blue Badge holders, residents or motorcycles, unless entitled to do so.

Laws CSDPA sect 21 & RTRA sects 5 & 8

Rule 242

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 22 & CUR reg 103

Rule 243

DO NOT stop or park:

near a school entrance

anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services

at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank

on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing

opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

near the brow of a hill or hump bridge

opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle

where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane

where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles

in front of an entrance to a property

on a bend

where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.

Rule 244

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

Law GL(GP)A sect 15

Rule 245

Controlled Parking Zones. The zone entry signs indicate the times when the waiting restrictions within the zone are in force. Parking may be allowed in some places at other times. Otherwise parking will be within separately signed and marked bays.

Rule 246

Goods vehicles. Vehicles with a maximum laden weight of over 7.5 tonnes (including any trailer) MUST NOT be parked on a verge, pavement or any land situated between carriageways, without police permission. The only exception is when parking is essential for loading and unloading, in which case the vehicle MUST NOT be left unattended.

Law RTA 1988 sect 19

Rule 247

Loading and unloading. Do not load or unload where there are yellow markings on the kerb and upright signs advise restrictions are in place (see ‘Road markings’). This may be permitted where parking is otherwise restricted. On red routes, specially marked and signed bays indicate where and when loading and unloading is permitted.

Law RTRA sects 5 & 8

I've found this for you😁

Rule 242

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

Thinned it down for you to the only solid bit that def applies to trailers.

It also implies that a trailer is not a vehicle or it would not need to specifically mention trailers as well as vehicles.

A quick straw poll on a vehicle trainers group resulted in it being down to local council bylaws re blocking the road which could result it it being removed via a removal order.

I would guess that one of those would take time to get.

If you want to pen your question in a clear & concise way I will forward it on.

Replies tend to either be quite quick or take weeks & weeks.

Like parking in parent & child spaces because the disabled ones are full or further away...

That grates on me! It's not like they're even copulating so who are they trying to kid blocking up designated parent / child areas!

I mean, it takes an extra 2.36 minutes to grab a pasty at Morrisons if I have to go in the unallocated areas 😬

Sorry to derail - but I think your questions being answered.

Where did the requirement for these parent/child spaces originate from? I think they've been around so long we think they are needed rather than that they were actually derived as a marketing ploy to get mum's to chop at x supermarket rather than Y.

They're a convenience - not a necessity, and we've been hoodwinked:biggrin::biggrin:

Thinned it down for you to the only solid bit that def applies to trailers.

It also implies that a trailer is not a vehicle or it would not need to specifically mention trailers as well as vehicles.

A quick straw poll on a vehicle trainers group resulted in it being down to local council bylaws re blocking the road which could result it it being removed via a removal order.

I would guess that one of those would take time to get.

Replies tend to either be quite quick or take weeks & weeks.

Thanks I found it on my phone and it would only allow me to copy all of it😁

Sorry to derail - but I think your questions being answered.

Where did the requirement for these parent/child spaces originate from? I think they've been around so long we think they are needed rather than that they were actually derived as a marketing ploy to get mum's to chop at x supermarket rather than Y.

They're a convenience - not a necessity, and we've been hoodwinked:biggrin::biggrin:

Possibly an element of encouraging a certain demographic Gary, but there are seldom enough of them to be an effective inducement in isolation, after all, the entire supermarket scenario is a masterpiece of marketing strategy based on convenience. As Mrs J has often remarked, she wouldn't mind if the parent / toddler spaces were in the furthest flung corner of the car park, its not so much the location but rather the wider spaces that allow doors to be opened to extract the little darling without banging Mrs Miggins Morris Minor which has been parked by a blind pensioner with impaired special awareness.

Perhaps if these specifically allocated spaces were further away it might avoid encroachment from users of other nominated spaces which they tend to ferociously guard with a sense of entitlement that seems to extend into all other areas.

Not that big a deal, just musings of a madman....

When a trailer is unhitched and unassociated with a tow vehicle is it classified as a "vehicle" in its own right and subject to road traffic laws / Highway Code.

If no, is there a regulation which would preclude it's being parked on the highway?