Pulleys and strops to use with a Tirfor?

Woodworks

It's my understanding that a shear pin is there to protect the winch it has nothing to do with creating a weak point in your winching operation as a safety measure!

The shear pin is to protect the winch by keeping it to its rated capacity. The winch should be the weakest part part of the system. Put another way your strops, rope,chain etc should be rated higher than any possible pull from your winch. If you do it any other way you are putting yourself and others around you at risk.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cornish your post has just lit a huge light bulb above my head!

I've just realised the winch IS the weakest link!! Of course it is!!

Why could I not see that before?

Shear pin or no shear pin!!

Man that's so obvious now, embarrassingly obvious!

R Mac my apologies , looks like the weakest link in my system is me :(

Stephen, not sure if you're serious or taking the p but honestly no apology needed.

You've been a member for 6 years and still alive and kicking so your way is working for you. The trouble is that I or I suspect the OP don't have the practical experience so all I can do is go by what I was taught and what the guidelines say and make the same recommendations.

In the end it's one subject on one thread on one day in the life of the forum, your views/experience are as important to me as those of anyone elses and if in the future someone disagrees with something you say and I feel you're right I'll back you with the same commitment that I did today when I was in disagreement.

:thumbup1:

Morning!

I'm not taking the pee!

My way is the same as yours, I just never realised it

Then it hit me , last night after reading Cornish's post! Why his and not all of yours I don't know!

What I should of said originally was ' I don't like shear pins and never mentioned weakness'

Of course my tirfor is weaker than all my other stuff, that's why I haven't broken any of it !!

Feeling somewhat embarrassed tbh!

Secondhand Tirfor winches have now shot up in value on E bay through this Thread now lol.

Has made very good reading and lots of sound advice.

Ste

The great thing is they will last you decades. Mine is secondhand and have had it 10 years and still looks/performs perfectly.

The great thing is they will last you decades. Mine is secondhand and have had it 10 years and still looks/performs perfectly.

This Thread has shed some light on a rather risky job I have ran into , have been looking at these winches for the last 2 weeks so it has answered all my questions before I buy one .

Ste

Ya got that right and there is a reason they last well, its because they are so cumbersome they barely see the light of day. I owned one for nearly 2 decades and it got used twice:laugh1:

Ya got that right and there is a reason they last well, its because they are so cumbersome they barely see the light of day. I owned one for nearly 2 decades and it got used twice:laugh1:

I agree, they are not the kind of thing you want to be lugging a few miles through the woods but compact enough to leave in the back of the pickup. Will get you out of a pickle.

I used mine daily for a few seasons when working on a river project where you had no chance of getting a tractor/mechanical winch near. Pulled out trolleys, broken willow limbs, motorbikes and so on. Took it apart a few times to give it a proper clean but generally pretty hard to break and require little maintenance. Just clean the cable off and gave it a blast with wd40 when putting away.