Stove advice

The Bullerjans are efficient at around 70% but the Dunsley Yorkshire is better still at 75%

I ignore manufacturers efficiency claims, and the "airwash" clear glass nonsense.

You gotta have the fire at 700C for max efficiency, 20% moisture content in the wood. The only one I've come across to live up to their claim was the ClearView Vision 500.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a clearview vision 500,its heating a 4 bedroom bungalow with the aid of a heat recovery system.We cook on it all the time and it boils a 1 gallon kettle in 20 mins when the stove thermometer is on 500 degrees F. Burning well seasoned and "tomorrows logs by the stove today" softwood.

I've just put in a Clearview Vision 500 which I bought off ebay. It looked a bit ropey but after a wirebrush, respray, new baffle, rope seals and firebricks it's looking like new (but about £400 less!) - belting out a massive amount of heat.

I know a few people with Clearviews and they all love them.

Thinking about another one for the middle of the house now which would cut down on the oil bil a lot!

The theory is Dean that the volatile tar compounds produced by burning wood are likely to condense on the "cold" flue walls. A lined flue, preferably insulated too, heats up to above the condensation point of the tar and so it passes out of the top of the chimney.

Interestingly, I have 2 flues, one insulated and lined with stainless steel and the other lined with clay pipes the old fashioned way, on the steel one the chimney pot is covered in tar as it condenses as soon as it hits the cold air, :thumbup: the other pot is clean as the tar is probably inside the flue:thumbdown:

I am just about to have a 5kw stove installed on a what looks to be clay or dense material purpose designed fairly modern chimney liner, 9 inch dia. So interested to see these comments about not using a stainless liner. My HETAS approved installer said it did not need a stainless one. I suspect it will need sweeping more often. But mine will be only occassional evening use, so may not be a problem (he hopes).

BTW, My stove will be a Brompi Oxford (not so common), with a large firebox compared to the outside dimension, and narrow door so as to reduce the hearth depth into the room.

I ignore manufacturers efficiency claims, and the "airwash" clear glass nonsense.

You gotta have the fire at 700C for max efficiency, 20% moisture content in the wood. The only one I've come across to live up to their claim was the ClearView Vision 500.

I'm not sure that the manufacturers come up with their own efficiency figures to be honest. A friend of mine is in the process of prototyping a new stove to compete with the likes of Clearview at the "top of the pile" end of the market, and he was talking about having to take the stove off somewhere to be tested (as part of the CE marking process I believe) The test facility operate the stove in various scenarios - like "accidentally" leaving the bottom door open to overfire it, and also conduct tests to come up with efficiency figures. I guess these tests are in the equivalent of laboratory conditions, so results can be replicated, and standard tests applied to different stoves to give a meaningful comparison.

Andy

• 8 months later...
I've got one of these from Grey Metal Stoves. £510 inc vat. had it three years now. Has 5kW boiler, 10kW total. It's a convection stove so the side panels stay cool. It's very well built and burns all night if you fill it right up. The other stove I've got came from the same place, got an oven in the top. It was cheaper but the construction not so good.

Worth a look. Stoves

Comfort%25202B%25201%2520FIRE%25202%2520web%2520.jpg

Cracker,

how the the stove performing? i've been looking at the boiler range made by grey metal stoves. im worried they are poor quality. it would be great to hear from you or anybody else who has one.

Why Mick ??

I was just talking today of having my flue lined, cos it isn't at the moment.

What is the advantage

Also , if liner not insulated , back fill chimney with Vermiculite, stops the creasote condensing, about £6 or £7 a 100l bag at good builders merchant