Our own worst enemy?

Gary Prentice

I agree, in our industry very few people in my area bother putting guys through the street works ticket etc. A lot of them think ignorance is bliss when it comes to traffic and pedestrian control and a tree cutting sign put out in the road means they can stop traffic and walk around in the road. On the other hand doing things by the book can be restricting when it comes to a roadside job. Here's a few pics of our site this week it took 5 guys around 30/40 minutes to set up. We used around 40 pedestrian barriers which didn't gone us a great amount of working space. As the boss set up and take down time greatly eats into our tree working day. However if something happened I feel we ticked all of the boxes for TM to have minimal come back to me! [ATTACH]199420[/ATTACH][ATTACH]199421[/ATTACH][ATTACH]199422[/ATTACH][ATTACH]199423[/ATTACH][ATTACH]199424[/ATTACH]

Now you're showing off!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H&S aside, the contractors were inconsiderate. I have often cut footpaths off for short term jobs, which did not merit full TM. However, it is easy enough to help & manage pedestrians with little effort & some vigilance. Common sense really

Yep, in that situation if you absolutely have to block the pavement a switched on attentive groundie to help pedestrians around is a must, very selfish to think otherwise IMO.

Always rely on you for an inspirational post Dave.

Hey I was about to:thumbup1: Pete's post too.

Blocked off loads of foot paths in the past but always have had someone there to either help pedestrians or stop works to let them through.

Although plenty of people could just cross the road and save everyone a bit of grief.

Yep, in that situation if you absolutely have to block the pavement a switched on attentive groundie to help pedestrians around is a must, very selfish to think otherwise IMO.

Exactly, I always ask myself "how would I feel if my mum was trying to pass this way".

I'm no fan of H&S nonsense, but any decent human being with give a thought to others :thumbup1:

I agree, in our industry very few people in my area bother putting guys through the street works ticket etc. A lot of them think ignorance is bliss when it comes to traffic and pedestrian control and a tree cutting sign put out in the road means they can stop traffic and walk around in the road. On the other hand doing things by the book can be restricting when it comes to a roadside job. Here's a few pics of our site this week it took 5 guys around 30/40 minutes to set up. We used around 40 pedestrian barriers which didn't gone us a great amount of working space. As the boss set up and take down time greatly eats into our tree working day. However if something happened I feel we ticked all of the boxes for TM to have minimal come back to me!

Thats a well set up site Rhys. The thing is, you should probably have all that set up even if it was a 15 minute job, which obviously no one is ever going to do!

Hey I was about to:thumbup1: Pete's post too.

Blocked off loads of foot paths in the past but always have had someone there to either help pedestrians or stop works to let them through.

Although plenty of people could just cross the road and save everyone a bit of grief.

Yes, it is annoying when people see you working from 100's of yards away and still feel the need to come through, when they could easily cross over, but I guess they are within the rights.

What's wrong with sitting in the hopper if it's not running?

The type of person that would sit in the hopper is likely to be the brain dead liability that wouldn't notice it was on or off - lazy, numbnuts that spreads bad habits, doesn't polish his boots daily and leaves his lunch behind.

Carelessness, contempt and familiarity lead to accidents.

Running, idle or off, it's not a seat, not a place to sit, it's a serious and expensive piece of equipment that deserves respect and appropriate care.

The type of person that would sit in the hopper is likely to be the brain dead liability that wouldn't notice it was on or off - lazy, numbnuts that spreads bad habits, doesn't polish his boots daily and leaves his lunch behind.

Carelessness, contempt and familiarity lead to accidents.

Running, idle or off, it's not a seat, not a place to sit, it's a serious and expensive piece of equipment that deserves respect and appropriate care.

Please tell me this post is tongue in cheek :001_huh: