Expenses

TIMON

For the sake of completion why not run the figures assuming wages are paid. Labour is usually the biggest expense of a company so by working without paying any labour although you are making a profit you could actually be running a loss maker.

For example deduct £25k-£30k for yourself as climber/team leader and £80-£100 per man per day for your ground staff. Let us know what your figures look like then.

This will show whether you are running a going concern or using your staff cheap and ultimately running a non viable company.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of completion why not run the figures assuming wages are paid.

This will show whether you are running a going concern or using your staff cheap and ultimately running a non viable company.

And driving down prices for those who have to pay their staff..

PS. I am not knocking your enterprise but maybe you could charge more..

Wages are by far the biggest expense, for the rest of us..

And driving down prices for those who have to pay their staff..

PS. I am not knocking your enterprise but maybe you could charge more..

Wages are by far the biggest expense, for the rest of us..

I understand what your saying but you have the wrong idea of our prices. Just because we are a charitable project don't make the mistake of thinking we are cheap!

And organisations that provide addiction recovery services charge service users an arm and a leg to go on their programmes. We are free to enter and don't have waiting lists. Running businesses to pay for the residential care side of things means that people on our programmes aren't burdening the taxpayer by claiming all sorts of benefits and housing benefit.

A government survey worked out that our charity has saved the government (or tax payer) £89m in 20 years. (It's our 20th anniversary this year)

So if you think that we are using our charitable set up to undercut the local competition then you are mistaken. (I say this with the greatest respect to you 🙂)

This is a good enterprise in both ways. Saves a burden on society. This is why gift aid is given by the government to charities on donations.

Looking at how I work, do as much as possible In house. Wash your vehicles etc. today I spent my afternoon renewing components on my vehicle. Cost me 3-4 hours. A garage would of done it quicker but at £35 an hour upwards. I've not spent £70+ today.

Your best improvements will be utilising the talent you have onboard. Delegate unless you already do so. The responsibility should nurture your residents in positive ways. Make it their baby.

Could you spend profits on long term savers? Hot water solar panels. Heating efficiency of the residency. How about monitoring fuel consumption competitively.

I worked with a lazy bunch once. Did little as possible work which would of kept them warmer. Instead they sat with engines running for heaters at breaks!

How about some incentive driven targets not in currency but for example, running costs per month versus income. Average out the insurance etc by 12.

Only sounds petty pennies, maybe even big outlay. But future will be better.

Widen that margin.

An interesting aside to expenses is how cheaply you can run a second or third team once you are set up . If you have a yard,plant,trucks,insurance,advertising and office to run for a one team outfit a second team can share or ease the burden,the onus of earnings per man are significantly less. The extra truck, chipper ,kit and wages do not add much to the overall annual expenses when you consider the potential doubling of turnover. All providing you have the work of course.

Bob

An interesting aside to expenses is how cheaply you can run a second or third team once you are set up . If you have a yard,plant,trucks,insurance,advertising and office to run for a one team outfit a second team can share or ease the burden,the onus of earnings per man are significantly less. The extra truck, chipper ,kit and wages do not add much to the overall annual expenses when you consider the potential doubling of turnover. All providing you have the work of course.

Bob

As someone who has obviously done this a question if you don't mind?

I have 2 part timers working for me and we are just about coping with what we have mainly as I'm still only running one vehicle.

Point being is now the time to get a second vehicle and get more help/ try and convince the better of the 2 to come full time?

Or just the vehicle for now? As this would itself free time as I would not have to be a glorified taxi as often!