TPO'd Sycamore.

Treeworld

Ok mates

I do not want to argue with other members valid points about cost etc..

All I can say is that the arb profession is an expert industry that demands professional fees...

I'm not a consultant, but do undertake private 5837 surveys and tree surveys for clients when my architect contact gives me a call on planning app sites...

We may not be doctors, but we are equal to architects and building engineers. It would seem from some of the opinions expressed that we are not equal in our skills and knowledge to such professions... I must disagree with that.

It is quite likely that there are differences in charges around the country... All I know is that highly skilled consultants I know and my local authority use are charging around £500 a day. Arborist Sites considers that £400 a day is acceptable.. fair enough, but in other areas £500 is acceptable...

As for me £500 a day is a normal day rate I charge for a 5837 survey. Have the members who think this is 'greedy' actualy ever undertaken one on a devlelopment site?

If 'arborist sites' has ever done a full 5837 survey, I would like to know how long it took him and how much he charged...? It is a complex task...

Nevertheless, I mean no disrespect to other members views and I fully respect their opinions.

Cheers Gmann

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very surprised if consultants could get £500 a day on a regular basis.

If so giz a job, I can do that.:001_smile:

For sole traders, there are consultants and consultants...

If you were desprate to earn more than £500 a day, just employ four or more arboriculturists, charge them out at £62.50 an hour and pay them £35k pa, get a CAD monkey and a secretary. Spend your time getting work in to keep them all going...

Edited by Giles Hill

Ok mates

I do not want to argue with other members valid points about cost etc..

All I can say is that the arb profession is an expert industry that demands professional fees...

I'm not a consultant, but do undertake private 5837 surveys and tree surveys for clients when my architect contact gives me a call on planning app sites...

We may not be doctors, but we are equal to architects and building engineers. It would seem from some of the opinions expressed that we are not equal in our skills and knowledge to such professions... I must disagree with that.

It is quite likely that there are differences in charges around the country... All I know is that highly skilled consultants I know and my local authority use are charging around £500 a day. Arborist Sites considers that £400 a day is acceptable.. fair enough, but in other areas £500 is acceptable...

As for me £500 a day is a normal day rate I charge for a 5837 survey. Have the members who think this is 'greedy' actualy ever undertaken one on a devlelopment site?

If 'arborist sites' has ever done a full 5837 survey, I would like to know how long it took him and how much he charged...? It is a complex task...

Nevertheless, I mean no disrespect to other members views and I fully respect their opinions.

Cheers Gmann

I wont disclose our day rates but for a chap who isnt a proffesional (you state this) and only produces reports occasional i question the quality esp of your plans and therfore think you are seriously taking your clients to the cleaners when you charge 500 squids........

This isnt at you gmann as i dont know the quality of your work. BUT

I personally am a little sick of people producing crap reports that get thrown back or dont produce a planning consent for there clients only for them to contact a bizness like ours to sort out the mess and find out that actually it would have been cheaper to go for us in the first place.....

Our biz has dealt with over 200 planning applications since jan 09 and over 30 of these have been jobs where people have used people who havent got a clue about bs 5837......

I belive that for instance anybody who submits a bs report without detailed cad drawings to scale should not have their apps validated, surely sketch plans are laughable.

Edited by Arborist Sites

I am not poking at anyones job and what they charge is nothing to do with me whatsoever, but, I know a few consultants any they have a lot less stress and physical worries than me. Although they aint getting 500 ton a day though.

If you can charge it and get it then brilliant.:thumbup1:

Its deffo a lot less hassle and far less expensive as running a gang of three tree lads though no matter how its diced.

Is it really the same as being an architect or engineer?

Not doubting there is skill involved just didnt think there was as much as that tbh.

Is it really the same as being an architect or engineer?

That was what I meant when I said there are consultants and consultants.

BS5837 surveys are fairly straight forward things to do and can be done by a qualified technician calling himself a consultant.

The same technician might struggle if he was asked to act as an expert witness representing a client in court.

I wont disclose our day rates but for a chap who isnt a proffesional (you state this) and only produces reports occasional i question the quality esp of your plans and therfore think you are seriously taking your clients to the cleaners when you charge 500 squids........

Maybe there's some room to up your rates?:001_smile:

BTW I noticed that Gmanntpo said he wasn't a consultant. I'm sure he is very professional.

EDIT sorry, Gmantpo has already pointed this out...

Hi Guys,

Havn't been on for a couple of days very busy working and quoting. Anyway an update is 1. Thanks Phil for the consultants number. The client is up for spending some money on a proper report with a view to appeal the TPO and replace with a suitable specimen. Initially we will be having a meet with the TO and try to avoid this and hope common sense prevails through the DDD avenue. If not then the consultant can come in.

The 15% reduction that was granted had a condition that no additional pruning could be done on the tree for 5 YEARS! so beggars belief given the tree species to do it at all.

Thanks for the input and will keep this posted with any more info as and when I get it.

I belive that for instance anybody who submits a bs report without detailed cad drawings to scale should not have their apps validated, surely sketch plans are laughable.

IMO what laughable is that statement!!!!!!:thumbdown:

So having expensive equipment is what makes you a pro???????????

And the ability to produce a hight quality sketch is not a skill??????????

I suppose a report has to be typed???????

What utter crap!!!!!!!!!!

If these are what, IYO, make for a professional, you are IMO a fool!!!!!!!!!