What happened to "starting a business" guys?

Mr Oz

I didn't start a thread when I started up for myself two and half years ago, but I used arbtalk to find out lots of things that I had pretty much no idea about and asked questions of people on the site. It helped a great deal. So thanks to the arbtalk community.

The business is doing well and although I've had minor set backs as long as you keep momentum its ok I think. If you're seen out and about working, handing out leaflets etc. Or just talking to and meeting people the word gets around and things fall into place.

Dan

Glad you are doing well Dan, expect to have bad days, expect to have breakdowns Nd expect problems, what I love about the forum is we can fix problems at the side of the road in minutes by starting a thread on here! As long as you have a signal you will be ok! It's like 'phone a friend ' ! I remember Dean Lofthouse tuning my 020 over the phone telling me what way to twiddle the wee orange screwdriver :)

Thanks Stephen, We don't always get good signal round here but I'm lucky that I work with some really good guys. I think it's important to have a well rounded team so you can try and cover each others weakness'. I know if I worked with carbon copies of myself it would end badly most days.

I got a lot of good stuff like method statement outlines and copies of generic risk assessments off here, as well as info on truck and chipper reviews. I know its not very exciting but it helps a lot. Also looking pics of big shinny kit and trucks is ace of course.

Just do it, leave the house that morning with ' I work for myself now ' in your head!

the first person you see and know, say Hi, when they say what are you up to, say ' I work for myself now" and that starts a chain reaction of events!

You don't need a saw or a van or insurance to do that!

Is someone says,' great I have this huge tree needing cut up would you take a look! ' go and look at it, ask how much they would like to spend, they give you a figure and you then say ' no probs I'll do it!

Then you talk to another person ask on here if anyone wants to give you a hand and bring a saw and their insurance and go halfs or whatever!

The key ingredient is to NOT listen to Negative input!

You can get positive input on what NOT to do but don't listen to the doom and gloomers!

My main driver for wanting to be successful( who knows if I am or not ) was fuelled by resentment! I wanted to prove the people wrong who said I couldn't or had laughed at me ! The problem with using resentment as a driver is when you do make good it's easy to become arrogant! But that's a whole other story!

There's no secret, just want to do it and work hard, work harder than the next man, work harder than your competition, when others are going to work you have done you first job, when others are going home or to the pub to the football to the golf, you should be working!

Now charge on ! :)

That is an encouraging and very positive piece of advice mate i wish i had people like you around me👏🏼 im glad your doing good for yourself Dan i hope it gets better thanks for at least replying as we haven't heard much from business starters yet

Just do it, leave the house that morning with ' I work for myself now ' in your head!

the first person you see and know, say Hi, when they say what are you up to, say ' I work for myself now" and that starts a chain reaction of events!

Is someone says,' great I have this huge tree needing cut up would you take a look! ' go and look at it, ask how much they would like to spend, they give you a figure and you then say ' no probs I'll do it!

Then you talk to another person ask on here if anyone wants to give you a hand and bring a saw and their insurance and go halfs or whatever!

You can get positive input on what NOT to do but don't listen to the doom and gloomers!

My main driver for wanting to be successful( who knows if I am or not ) was fuelled by resentment! I wanted to prove the people wrong who said I couldn't or had laughed at me ! The problem with using resentment as a driver is when you do make good it's easy to become arrogant! But that's a whole other story!

There's no secret, just want to do it and work hard, work harder than the next man, work harder than your competition, when others are going to work you have done you first job, when others are going home or to the pub to the football to the golf, you should be working!

While I'm not really putting much thought into becoming a sole trader, as I'm weighing up end goals and paths to take, this ignites a fire :up:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been out on my own for the last 5 months and it's better than I could have hoped though i'm at the point where I need a decent chipper and the finance is slightly daunting...

I already have my truck on finance. Right now I could afford it but what's round the corner a month or two down the line I can't be 100% sure. Who here has dealt with those quiet periods along with the oncoming monthly payments?

I like it, ever thought of becoming a motivational speaker?.... you might do well..:thumbup1:

I've been out on my own for the last 5 months and it's better than I could have hoped though i'm at the point where I need a decent chipper and the finance is slightly daunting...

I already have my truck on finance. Right now I could afford it but what's round the corner a month or two down the line I can't be 100% sure. Who here has dealt with those quiet periods along with the oncoming monthly payments?

Anything big on finance (truck etc) I like to have 6 months payments saved up it gives you some breathing space and stops the worry!

As above regards finance, I'm just buying my first proper chipper and it's the businesses first finance package and after the deposit a good chunk off monthly payments is getting put in an is a marked chipper! If I don't touch it once it's paid off in two years then that's the start on another bit of kit. I'd be terrified if I didn't have that insurance in the bank to pay the finance.

As others have said do your own thing do it well and ignore those who say you can't or shouldn't, this with stands your plan being legal and not liable to kill you.