Songs I Am Listening To

Old Monkey

10 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Probly a generational thing, but apart from the intro and middle bit I don't find this to be musical.

I generally like most of what you post on this thread , but I've never been able to find 'Metal' for the most part to be 'music', and I've never thought that music and whipped up aggression to be useful bedfellows.

So I'll reply to the noise you posted😁 and without any apology here's Jimi's best living student, 👍

Absolutely no offence meant regarding  you're selection of metal, but with you're eyes shut could you tell  that this was a cover, cheers.

This takes me back, as I saw Randy Hansen (solo) many, many moons ago when The SECC in Glasgow just opened. He was demonstrating a wah wah pedal & was the nearest I had ever heard to `the master`! 

25 minutes ago, Logdaft said:

This takes me back, as I saw Randy Hansen (solo) many, many moons ago when The SECC in Glasgow just opened. He was demonstrating a wah wah pedal & was the nearest I had ever heard to `the master`! 

That's a good while back, but I never saw Jimi and I've not seen Randy live and I think he's 67 now and has had a bit of time to practice, to be honest as so much time has gone by and as he's got it so close he's amazing to watch online.

There's a video of Jimi's niece Tina Hendrix awarding him for being the worlds best tribute to Jimi.

She is the daughter of his brother who by total coincidence, an American lassie who was my neighbour a few years back had been in his high school class in Seattle.

Randy is on tour and has a few gigs in Germany coming up, tickets only $25, If he were to come here I go and see him for sure, cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

Of course.. 

Although not sure about the need for the 2nd guy on acoustic, but I'm sure he's enjoying himself.

Random fact, the guy on acoustic is BTCC racing driver James Cole.

Personally I think it's a terrific arrangement and does the song justice.

But music and the appreciation of it is largely subjective anyway so what hits one person may be entirely over the head of another.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Random fact, the guy on acoustic is BTCC racing driver James Cole.

Personally I think it's a terrific arrangement and does the song justice.

But music and the appreciation of it is largely subjective anyway so what hits one person may be entirely over the head of another.

Absolutely, I didn't mean to be negative, I thought it was a great cover thanks, it's amazing just how many different folk manage to cover the unique style of Jimi Hendrix and very curious to [me at least] how nothing like it is popular with today's listeners.

And btw I very much know how good it is to be part of something and be that guy on the second guitar, cheers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

there are some among us who think life is but a joke

I'm glad you posted that spaceman coz I have a question . On the word " joke " there is a chord , a sorta suspended chord , I think its only played once but is very effective . Any one know what it is . Also thank god Bob Dylan wrote it or we would never have been treated to this excellent cover or indeed Jims . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Of course.. 

Although not sure about the need for the 2nd guy on acoustic, but I'm sure he's enjoying himself.

He is crunching out a very strong rhythm all through . Essential I would say . 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I'm glad you posted that spaceman coz I have a question . On the word " joke " there is a chord , a sorta suspended chord , I think its only played once but is very effective . Any one know what it is . Also thank god Bob Dylan wrote it or we would never have been treated to this excellent cover or indeed Jims . 

I guess I heard Jimi's version long before Dylan's original, always liked it especially for the lyrics, rooted in Ecclesiastes I think.

• Like 1