Apprentice Arborist - Epping Forest

JaySmith

good for you jay , its always good to hear when someone who really wants to get into the industry actually get a chance to do so

Ditto that mate.

Sounds like a great job Jay and that your getting a good range of skills and a chance to use all the gear, Excellent stuff :001_cool:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto that mate.

Sounds like a great job Jay and that your getting a good range of skills and a chance to use all the gear, Excellent stuff :001_cool:

Yeah cheers guys, the good thing is the range of work - whether it's clearing a few acres of holly or using the Teupen's for a 100ft Veteran it's all learning and the more the better IMO :thumbup1: I had done some farm work whilst studying so was used to machinery and tractors

I'll try and post a few photos as I'm sure David will agree the City does have some nice kit and hopefully it will keep the thread active rather than me just using Arbtalk to obtain info :sneaky2:

Hi David, happy new year too, see you were working on New Years Day!

Things are going really well, the work is varied and they let us crack on and get the experience using all of the toys - arm fed chipper, forwarder, Teupen, felling etc which is good and helps build up the knowledge and experience.

A lot of the work we are doing at the moment is from the Teupen lifts doing the Beech, Oak and Hornbeam's under the keystone tree scheme so not had a lot of time to practice climbing. Hopefully moving into the new year I'll get more chance to practice the climbing.

Capel is fine, back there in a couple of weeks for the CS31, at the moment I'm the only one from Epping on here, been trying to get the others to sign in!

All in all I am glad I went down this route as the experience I'm getting and the training is excellent, much better IMO than doing a crash course or a 100% college based course and hopefully this will put me in good stnading for the future:thumbup1:

How's things over the 'north' going take your guys will be busy when you get back?:001_smile:

Hey Jay,

Our young apprentice is doing Ok, climbing a little and getting a bit of saw time.

Sadly he lost his Mother, which was very drawn out and understanderbly his head hasn't quite been there, but I intend to step up his opportunities and get him back on track.

You may have seen that we had another work session over at BB in October, not sure if we will get the chance to get back there in the short term.

Plenty of planned tasks to work on and around our vets plus a good few big reductions in the comming weeks.

I will give John a shout when I get back in to see if we can tie up an exchange of Aprentices, he appeared keen when I spoke to him in October.

Really glad to hear things are going well for you.

Definately keep the thread updated with some shots/action etc, I think it would be of great interest to many. Particularly the kit.

All the best

D

Hey Jay,

Our young apprentice is doing Ok, climbing a little and getting a bit of saw time.

Sadly he lost his Mother, which was very drawn out and understanderbly his head hasn't quite been there, but I intend to step up his opportunities and get him back on track.

You may have seen that we had another work session over at BB in October, not sure if we will get the chance to get back there in the short term.

Plenty of planned tasks to work on and around our vets plus a good few big reductions in the comming weeks.

I will give John a shout when I get back in to see if we can tie up an exchange of Aprentices, he appeared keen when I spoke to him in October.

Really glad to hear things are going well for you.

Definately keep the thread updated with some shots/action etc, I think it would be of great interest to many. Particularly the kit.

All the best

D

Yep will do David. Sorry to hear that about your new guy, lets hope he gets back soon and is bearing up ok, must be terrible for him. Snow has hampered things a bit this week! I'm getting plenty of saw time at the mo as we are doing a lot of wood pasture restoration and holly clearance.

Been clearing the ice on the lakes and ponds with the keepers for most of the time and doing maintenance and firewood the rest of the day. I will put a few pics of the kit up when I take a better camera into work as the phone one isn't up to much. :001_rolleyes:

Yep will do David. Sorry to hear that about your new guy, lets hope he gets back soon and is bearing up ok, must be terrible for him.:

Toms now holding it together really well at work, we gave him his first chainsaw reduction on Friday, was impressed with his control & positioning.

Now need to program in more oportunities for him.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/training-education/3378-give-them-taster.html

DSC05514.JPG.0fc7e24cb50e6c53c017d22a4c3a8912.JPG

DSC05498.JPG.550079ef696f0a2a325ea79b96d71c12.JPG

DSC05465.JPG.b1d898e6c70fb1daeb7f8b9ce8f799be.JPG

DSC05453.JPG.3b5dad2de691706176fa655e50bf5c58.JPG

DSC05447.JPG.1577a0e4e8d399b709bf96e3f7107a46.JPG

DSC05432.JPG.024ee968be0ba125a700169ba49c7a0b.JPG