Anyone?

woodwizzard

Might be worth you buying a stack of these Rob and selling them as alternative to the real Alaskan mill.

It may come to that!

But I have been dealing with Granberg for 10 years and they are a great small company to work with. There is trust and loyalty on both sides. Erik Granbergs dad built and sold the very first chainsaw mill.

But this mill has killed me on ebay. Fortunetly they are selling so cheaply they have no margin to market outside of ebay.

It does annoy they have called it an 'Alaskan mill'. What happens when people google 'Alaskan mill' in a year when they need a spare or need advice - who will they end up calling?

They could have called it another name - but I suppose far easier to leech off the back of the name of the genuine product....

I'm not that fussed they have taken the product and had a blatant copy made. But to call it the same name and continue to do so after being politely asked to not so so tells you something about the firm importing them.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one will still be getting my milling stuff from you Rob.

I have always had exceptional service and prompt deliveries from Rob and would rather pay slightly more in the knowledge I was supporting an excellent member of our community rather than someone cashing in and dragging the industry down.

Just my opinion keep up the good work Rob.

I think they are the right money for what they are, a few bits of metal bolted together to make up a frame! I haven't seen a "genuine" one, but struggle to see how they are worth so much more and is the reason I never bought one before.

Yeah the genuine ones are overpriced for sure but as has been said the margins on these copies must be minimal (Possibly the next batch may not be as cheap) no doubt they will be back at some point seeing as they are now sold out mind you the wait time may well be substantial. One thing that you cant see is the quality of the metal and the castings ive been there with cheap Chinese quads for the kids and basically after a while they fell apart also the spares back up was non existent, who will the buyers of these be looking to then ??

As has already been said on here what do you want ?? a product with a known history and a good after sales service or some cheap Chinese copy made in a place where health and safety standards are lower, wages and standard of living for the people who probably made these are nowhere near what we would expect.

Regardless of all this for sure they seem at first sight a bargain and you cant blame people for spending wisely if the chance arises and if anything it does possibly highlight how expensive the originals are.

Me personally id buy the original and have a good gripe about the cost

I did think twice about posting a link to them as I knew there was a supplier on here (Rob). I always try to support local suppliers and happily pay a few quid extra for things. Being on a limited budget does mean that sometimes the difference between having and not having means going cheap (as in this case). If they break up in a few months time you can all throw rotten tomatoes at me and say "told ya so"!:laugh1:

I did think twice about posting a link to them as I knew there was a supplier on here (Rob). I always try to support local suppliers and happily pay a few quid extra for things. Being on a limited budget does mean that sometimes the difference between having and not having means going cheap (as in this case). If they break up in a few months time you can all throw rotten tomatoes at me and say "told ya so"!:laugh1:

I am in now way being critical of you for posting or anyone buying and wish you all the best. Its a great community love to ALL!

Blaisey

I for one will still be getting my milling stuff from you Rob.

I have always had exceptional service and prompt deliveries from Rob and would rather pay slightly more in the knowledge I was supporting an excellent member of our community rather than someone cashing in and dragging the industry down.

Just my opinion keep up the good work Rob.

Cheers Blaise - I appreciate the support and who knows some good may come of this in the end.

:biggrin:

No hard feelings - and as said these are so much cheaper it is a bit of a no brainer. The cost of the original I expect does put many people off. Part of me thinks - ah well there will be more wood being milled out there and that is no bad thing...

These Chinese copies do seem pretty well made.

I'm hoping it will stir things up a little for the development of a newer mill that ok costs the same as the current genuine Alaskan - but that performs better enough to entice people to buy it over this cheaper version.

:001_smile: