Anyone?

woodwizzard

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been watching this thread with interest (naturally!).

What to say! Not much I can say - I have bought one, it works fine, it is not quite up the originals standard but it is good. And look at price!

However they should not be calling it an 'Alaskan chainsaw mill' as it isn't - it is a copy of one.

If the Alaskan mill business goes downhill may think about a change of product... maybe it's time I went into the ramps business! :001_tongue:

Have been watching this thread with interest (naturally!).

What to say! Not much I can say - I have bought one, it works fine, it is not quite up the originals standard but it is good. And look at price!

However they should not be calling it an 'Alaskan chainsaw mill' as it isn't - it is a copy of one.

If the Alaskan mill business goes downhill may think about a change of product... maybe it's time I went into the ramps business! :001_tongue:

Might be worth you buying a stack of these Rob and selling them as alternative to the real Alaskan mill.

The publicity they got on this site intended or not has worked as they have sold out on ebay.

I can't help thinking they most have broken the patent law in some way as from the photos people have posted there doesn't seem to be that much difference apart from the fixing of the tube handle and the Alaskan name missing from the castings.

I can't help thinking they most have broken the patent law in some way as from the photos people have posted there doesn't seem to be that much difference apart from the fixing of the tube handle and the Alaskan name missing from the castings.

Agreed, I don't know how they can do it so cheap, are the wing nuts the only difference ? When I got the real thing I thought it was great value (and still do )

Out of curiosity I did a search for the extrusion used for the rails, but didn't find it, Cheers

The publicity they got on this site intended or not has worked as they have sold out on ebay.

Unfortunetly they have not broken any patent laws as the patent for the Alaskan has expired.

I did ask them to change the name of theirs - they didn't reply to that one!

It still baffles me why they have sold it so cheap - even though it is made in China they are still making very little margins on it.

One thing is for sure they have totally devalued the Alaskan and let's face it how many arbtalkers will buy one off me from now on! :sneaky2:

I don't blame people for buying this version - I mean look at the price! I would buy one given the same choice.

But hey ho such is life :001_smile:

I think they are the right money for what they are, a few bits of metal bolted together to make up a frame! I haven't seen a "genuine" one, but struggle to see how they are worth so much more and is the reason I never bought one before.

I do sort of know what you mean. It's not that the 'genuine' one is worth so much more - the genuine one just costs a lot more (made in the US), to ship (by air), to distibute so retailers get a margin (this other firms sells low margin straight to customer) and to market (from me doing shows/sponsoring this site etc. etc.)

The genuine one is not worth the extra cost - but it's just what it costs when you have a properly distributed product not made in China.

:001_smile: