Reward Fund for Coast Redwood Native Plant Habitat Damage / MD Vaden

mdvaden

Prevent damage. Either reverse, or prevent.

Lets take one tree for example in the parks that has not been leaked. Its the tallest of the species known. The ground was so unstable around it, that I don't go back at all to remeasure or get photos. At that tree, I could make the area unstable with just one visit per year (solo).

One visit a year can make it unstable?

Now that is fragile, what's going to happen next time the wind blows?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I understand the issue, you want to stop people getting up close to the redwoods like this.... Possibly sounds a little hypocritical.?

No, you probably didn't fully inform yourself. I did not get "up close" to that redwood. I did get up close, without damaging native plants, and exited in same fashion.

And that would be fine. I showed others how to go to the same spot, without doing damage to vegetation. It would be ideal if everybody learned how to go in and out from redwoods without ruining plants.

Edited by mdvaden

One visit a year can make it unstable?

Now that is fragile, what's going to happen next time the wind blows?

Probably nothing, it will remain standing. The wind does not dislodge the soil. And the ground plants buffer the rain.

If the small plants and shrubs are not disturbed, the soil should not loosen or erode. But none of us go back near the trunk area or within the drip line to measure again.

We put a tag on another tree about 200 feet away. And we are able to use that tag's height in relation to the top to know how much the height changes from year to year.

Edited by mdvaden

No, you probably didn't fully inform yourself. I did not get "up close" to that redwood. I did get up close, without damaging native plants, and exited in same fashion.

And that would be fine. I showed others how to go to the same spot, without doing damage to vegetation. It would be ideal if everybody learned how to go in and out from redwoods without ruining plants.

I was being factitious.. But it does look rather arrogant/conceited, to have pics of you up next to redwoods while advocating restricting access to others.

I was being factitious.. But it does look rather arrogant/conceited, to have pics of you up next to redwoods while advocating restricting access to others.

I don't recall every restricting access to others. I have many statements online to the effect that the parks are open to everyone.

Where's the quote about restricted access?