Moving from 339+357xp to MS201T+362C-M

RichardDesmond

Problem is, there are enough complaints about the MS 362 to suggest that there are quality control issues.

True but there's complaints about every saw available if you look for them! Most threads about saws on here people go on about how great the 560xp is but equally there's a bunch of comments about unreliability.

There's lots of slating about the stihl 261 but I loved the one I had til it got stolen, but got a 550xp to replace it on the basis of reviews and not that keen on it as doesn't start when it's hot outside!

That's why thinking going back to stihl with a 362 as an all rounder saw

• 1 month later...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lads.

Following up on my questions from an upgrade from the 2 Husqvarna saws to 2 Stihls.

I did indeed end up with an MS 201tcm (14" bar) and an MS 362cm (20" bar).

My 2 Husqvarnas have gone over to Spud in the UK for a bit of TLC.

Having used the 201T for about 3 tanks of fuel, I can say that I really like it. I dismantled a 16" cherry with it last week, buried full bar length, 3/4 throttle, no problem...

The MS 362 sat on my bench for 10 days, shiny and new. Finally took it out in the garden to run it in, before I actually have need of it. 30 seconds in to cutting firewood on a sawhorse, it throws the new chain and slaps me in the unprotected leg. No injury, but I did pretty much soil myself.

Damaged chain, then wouldn't go back on the bar. Straight back to the dealer, in fairness he swapped a new chain on, without a word.

Back home, I cut a 10" log that I had video'd both the 339 and the 357 cutting. Have to say the 2 stihls out-cut the 2 Husqvarnas. That may be partly down to new chains and new engines.

Both the 339 xp and the 201T seem plasticky and prone to breaking, though the 339 has had a fair bit of use.

The MS362 pissed all over the 357xp. I'm hoping that when I get my 357xp back from Spud ported, that it will be at least similar to the stock MS362cm. I'm guessing that the MS 362 will really start to rip after 5-6 tanks of fuel, at which point I will be selling it :001_cool:

Hi Lads.

Following up on my questions from an upgrade from the 2 Husqvarna saws to 2 Stihls.

I did indeed end up with an MS 201tcm (14" bar) and an MS 362cm (20" bar).

My 2 Husqvarnas have gone over to Spud in the UK for a bit of TLC.

Having used the 201T for about 3 tanks of fuel, I can say that I really like it. I dismantled a 16" cherry with it last week, buried full bar length, 3/4 throttle, no problem...

Flat out or nothing . dont piss about with 3/4 throttle . Also learn to sharpen up properly . New chains dont cut as fast as half worn well sharpened chains :001_smile:

I do know how to sharpen a chain, by hand, with a file. Chain on my 339xp is sharp, but down to the nub.:thumbup:

Ok . Sorry . Its just that you mentioned that the Stihls had new chains and maybe thats why they were out cutting the old saws .

Isn't thrashing a brand new saw a bad thing?

Thrash it hard for short periods - no long drawn out cuts but use it hard, the early parts of an engines life are where most bedding in takes place so make the most of it.

The 357 should be a nice surprise once done:thumbup: