What is it about ebayers?

flatyre

Not only eBay, I sold a saw on Gumtree the guy openly told me when he came to fetch it he had screwed his old saw by putting the wrong mix in it, fortnight later rang claiming had only run it for 40 minutes and now wouldn't start, I offered to take a look for him in case was something daft, when he bought it up I don't know what fuel he'd put in it but didn't smell of petrol, spent an hour messing with it only to find piston was scored so told him it was due to his fuel mix couple hours after he left he texted saying he wanted £100 back off me to put towards another saw!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to think they have a cooling off period, or warranty like they get when buying it new. I'm always suspicious of buying used equipment, so I avoid anything that has "untested" "selling for a friend" or "not sure what condition its in" that sort of thing. At the end of the day the saw is running and was complete with just the usual cosmetic scrapes and scratches, as you'd expect from a second hand saw. As someone said, he probably got carried away then had second thoughts once the auction ended.

• 2 weeks later...

well ebay got back to me after their "investigation" and surprise surprise they ruled in the buyers favour stating that by refunding the money and returning the saw puts buyer and seller back to square one. I posted off a complete saw in perfect working order and am receiving a badly damaged saw with major parts missing, hardly back to square one! Amazing the amount of chainsaw bars that magically fall out of sealed boxes in transport. So if you see a saw on ebay and you want some free parts, bid on it, take the bits you need, then open a dispute case claiming the parts fell out in transit and get your parts and your money back:thumbdown:

I bought and paid for this Stihl ms 390 chainsaw | eBay

The guy went to get it out of his lockup and it was gone, that or he didnt want to sell it. I did get the refund.

Bob

He did you a favour there :thumbup: I bought my 036 locally on Gumtree and was a bit suspicious when the seller wanted to meet me in a lay-by but it was his dinner break and the lay-by was outside the factory gate and the saw ran and has been a good one so far with a bit of work.

The furthest I have travelled was 460 miles away to pick up a cnc router I won on ebay. It was from a dealer and he was happy to put it on a pallet and ship it. I didnt want it shipped and was happy to pay cash when I picked it up. It came out of a school and was almost brand new. Absolute bargain and a cracking machine to use.

well ebay got back to me after their "investigation" and surprise surprise they ruled in the buyers favour stating that by refunding the money and returning the saw puts buyer and seller back to square one. I posted off a complete saw in perfect working order and am receiving a badly damaged saw with major parts missing, hardly back to square one! Amazing the amount of chainsaw bars that magically fall out of sealed boxes in transport. So if you see a saw on ebay and you want some free parts, bid on it, take the bits you need, then open a dispute case claiming the parts fell out in transit and get your parts and your money back:thumbdown:

What did he actually complain about in the end? it's typical of ebay sadly, did they refund all your costs, listing, commission etc?

Bad enough that you've wasted time but surely they're not going to keep their fee's as well.

You could post his ebay username here, that way others can block/cancel his bids

He goes by the name "matilav" its all a bit suspect to me, he clearly knows about chainsaws and their workings and their value, yet paid £160 for an ms250. And the box I sent it in was lined with another layer of heavy cardboard on all sides, top, and bottom, loads of additional packing inside to take up any voids, then totally encased in layers of parcel tape, yet the new 18" bar still managed to fall out. And both the chain oil and petrol tanks are both ruptured! Funny I didn't notice either the day before it was sent which was the last time I used it. Can't see ebay dropping their fees, so looks like i'll just have to fix it and keep it as a spare. Any ideas what superglue works on petrol tanks?:001_huh:

He goes by the name "matilav" its all a bit suspect to me, he clearly knows about chainsaws and their workings and their value, yet paid £160 for an ms250. And the box I sent it in was lined with another layer of heavy cardboard on all sides, top, and bottom, loads of additional packing inside to take up any voids, then totally encased in layers of parcel tape, yet the new 18" bar still managed to fall out. And both the chain oil and petrol tanks are both ruptured! Funny I didn't notice either the day before it was sent which was the last time I used it. Can't see ebay dropping their fees, so looks like i'll just have to fix it and keep it as a spare. Any ideas what superglue works on petrol tanks?:001_huh:

I'll make a note of that user name, is there any chance that the package really got f***ed up by the delivery company? as for repairing the petrol tank, what about JB Weld? There is an ethanol proof petrol tank sealer on the market that may well sort the problem but it's expensive.

Gas Tank Sealer - Fuel Tank Sealing Kits - Caswell

Edited by R Mac