Snowdon Horseshoe route.

Midge

Agree with everythin you said.. people have bin made soft these days..

what should be a micro adventure has bin turned into a nightmare scenario of falling ice sheets and hurricane gales looking to flip you off the nearest precipice..

I remember once at the top of Snowdon havin a fully kitted out "expert walker" berate me for climbing in a tea shirt...

You could freeze to death she said..

Yea, course I could, I'm at the top for ten minutes before I set off back down, I doubt I'll be freezing to death in ten minutes flat...

all you need is to take your t shirt off put on a bandana do some heavy breathing and Johny Rambo is making a come back.:thumbup:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure people can and do get in trouble on any route up Snowdon, but it is mostly just a long steep walk! As a kid (10ish) we'd go up any route in a t shirt and trainers on a whim, often taking the dogs with us. Crib Gogh is a about the only one we'd not do in icy weather. I used to love visiting family up there, haven't been up snowdon for years now though.

Go for it, use common sense and turn back if need be. You can always try another route the next day. You will get wet, you will get cold, but the local pubs have good fires :beer:

I've been up the pyg and round the far side of the horseshoe ( not cryb goch) with wife child and baby in my back and the dog in tow.

The descent from the summit straight down a scree slope can get a bit loose! And it's a fun scramble up the side of the big cliff half way along. ..Probably a different kettle of fish in winter though, however if your with an experienced bunch I'm sure it'd be fine.

Was expecting replies like that to be honest. And as ive got no gear and no experience with mountain walking think I'll give this one a miss!

Cheers guys.

I'm relieved to hear it, Arbtalk won't be there on Crib Goch if the weather turns nasty just after the point of no return, and no bandana's going to ward off frostbite. It's a serious route and if you come off you won't stop for 1000 feet. Try it in summer before trying it in winter.

carn more dearg arete

Is that on the Ben? cracking day out. If you go up the Ben by the tourist route you don't get to see the vast corrie of near-vertical rock, but from the arte you can see it all day. And you can bale out at the 'abseil posts' or carry on up to the summit, see the hordes of flip-flop wearing chinese tourists in nthe early stages of hypothermia and wish you hadn't bothered.

Is that on the Ben? cracking day out. If you go up the Ben by the tourist route you don't get to see the vast corrie of near-vertical rock, but from the arte you can see it all day. And you can bale out at the 'abseil posts' or carry on up to the summit, see the hordes of flip-flop wearing chinese tourists in nthe early stages of hypothermia and wish you hadn't bothered.

Thats the one,

never actually done Ben Nevis, to crowded, but done all the hills on the south side of Glen Coe, the view from Buachaille etive mor is superb.