Build your dream

54gka

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I used a top handle on the ground (with both hands) for a couple of cuts to prep some branches for the chipper. I also (free)climbed into a small tree about 4ft up to make a couple of silky cuts. My foot slipped and I nearly came out much to the amusement of my crew. Would have served me right. I realise that "one offs" in regard to safety infringements go on all the time in every industry. That small slip reminded me that as the team leader I am setting the example and others will follow. I've worked hard to establish a culture of care and safety in the business I run and was reminded how unsafe working practices can "creep" into the workplace.

And you are still alive ! ? :biggrin:

I really dont see a problem using a top handler on the ground,its bloody safer than in tree,no matter how good a work position you've achieved.All chainsaws are dangerous and all it takes is one little brain fart and you've copped a sore un.

Lets be honest here ive spiked up the first 12 feet to the first limb with no flipline,ive one handed a rear handled saw while cutting stems,ive changed anchor points and not used my lanyard cause i was comfortable standing in a crotch,im a wrong un and should be locked up for my crimes against hse,and u know wot i dont care-i do what i do and thats that..i know the risks involved im an adult

I really dont see a problem using a top handler on the ground,its bloody safer than in tree,no matter how good a work position you've achieved.All chainsaws are dangerous and all it takes is one little brain fart and you've copped a sore un.

Lets be honest here ive spiked up the first 12 feet to the first limb with no flipline,ive one handed a rear handled saw while cutting stems,ive changed anchor points and not used my lanyard cause i was comfortable standing in a crotch,im a wrong un and should be locked up for my crimes against hse,and u know wot i dont care-i do what i do and thats that..i know the risks involved im an adult

This .

Is it actually illegal to use a top handle saw on the ground and has anyone actually been prosecuted for doing so?

Personally I haven't felt the need which doesn't mean I won't. I don't think top handle saws are any more dangerous than rear handle but am I right in saying that HSE's issue with top handle saws is simply that they encourage one handed use and even then they concede that there are situations where it's preferable to actually use it one handed.

All in all it looks like a typical HSE clusterf**k not unlike the screw gate/auto lock 3 way opening carabiner deal. They banned the use of screw gate initially as the operator 'may' forget to screw it to lock it and the rope might actually unscrew it. Then they discover that even 3 way locking karabiners can open accidently or fail to close properly in the first place.

Solution? HSE recommend that you physically check to ensure that auto locks have actually locked which brings us back to the issue with operators forgetting to physically lock a screw gate in the 1st place.

Do HSE concede that there are advantages/disadvantages with both types and allow the operator to choose autolock or screwgate? no because that would be an admission that they were wrong, they simply say "well ok auto locks have problems and may require even more checks which in turn opens the possibility for more user error but the fact that autolocks aren't as safe as they 1st belived doesn't alter the concerns that they had with screwgates so the regulation still stands.

Ok they aren't more prone to kick back . They are not more dangerous either . Unless the user is a a complete knob .

They are more dangerous because they are harder to control when there is kickback. Even the most experienced saw operators get kickback from time to time. People get tired, under time pressure, lapse in concentration and so on. It's not a law, nor even a rule (unless you work for the company I work for. If we catch someone using a topper on the ground, it's home for the day and a written warning). It is best practice though. Just because there are very few who could hand on heart say that they have never used a topper on the ground (myself included), doesn't mean that we should dismiss the issue as, "...well everyone does it, so it's okay." Rear handled saw are more ergonomic, and the distance between the handles gives the user added leverage, which is simply safer when kickback happens.

Are you going to jail for doing it? No

Are you going to get injured every time you use one on the ground? No

Is is perfectly fine to use one on the ground? Well, there are better options available. So, why not use them?

I put it in the same category as applying the chainbrake with your palm instead of your wrist. You can do it, and get away with it a million times. It doesn't mean that it's best practice though.

They are more dangerous because they are harder to control when there is kickback. Even the most experienced saw operators get kickback from time to time. People get tired, under time pressure, lapse in concentration and so on. It's not a law, nor even a rule (unless you work for the company I work for. If we catch someone using a topper on the ground, it's home for the day and a written warning). It is best practice though. Just because there are very few who could hand on heart say that they have never used a topper on the ground (myself included), doesn't mean that we should dismiss the issue as, "...well everyone does it, so it's okay." Rear handled saw are more ergonomic, and the distance between the handles gives the user added leverage, which is simply safer when kickback happens.

Are you going to jail for doing it? No

Are you going to get injured every time you use one on the ground? No

Is is perfectly fine to use one on the ground? Well, there are better options available. So, why not use them?

I put it in the same category as applying the chainbrake with your palm instead of your wrist. You can do it, and get away with it a million times. It doesn't mean that it's best practice though.

I cant win here . First I say they are slightly more dangerous ( for the reasons above ) Then someone goes to great lengths to tell me they are not then you tell me they are .......I shall continue to use one where ever it suits me . May be even under ground ! . I am 63 now and fed up with the whole debate . Never been hurt yet .