Build your dream

54gka

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was being a bit of a loon but I get his point about 20k for the wrong trousers.

Love the example picture of a chainsaw where did they find that.

They couldn't print a close up of an actual chainsaw, apparently they'd have needed 'Parental Advisory' on the front page.

Regarding the trousers, maybe it was his clothing in general that were the potential source of hurt, a fear that perhaps a 'Lumbersexual' would comment on the unstylish 'cut' of his jeans and the fact that his shirt wasn't red/black tartan.

Comments regarding dress sense can be extremely hurtful :001_rolleyes:

Rather he choose to skulk in his living room and take a photgraph, a real hero :001_rolleyes:

As for the HSE representative, -HSE inspector Neil Ward said: ‘Chainsaws are dangerous pieces of machinery in untrained hands.

‘It is sheer good fortune that no one was hurt that day.’

Given that the guy in question was 53 it's highly likey that he performed the same task quite a few times in the past, he must have more than his fair share of 'Sheer Good Fortune'

Why do people making media statements feel the need to be so f***ing dramatic.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of good things have come out of an increased awareness of health and safety, especially for employees but to$$ers like those do more harm than good.

That tit up a ladder is blatantly disregarding all the rules, rules that the rest of us abide by not some chancer on a wing and a prayer

He is described as a landscape gardener so how many trees are you assuming he has cut and how long are you assuming the man has been cutting trees?

The media statements are just that, MEDIA. The media phrases its questions so it can generate whose sound bight clips, the first the person who gave the statement knows of it is when the carefully crafted press release appears as something else entirely. Don't believe what you see in the media

That tit up a ladder is blatantly disregarding all the rules, rules that the rest of us abide by not some chancer on a wing and a prayer

He is described as a landscape gardener so how many trees are you assuming he has cut and how long are you assuming the man has been cutting trees?

The media statements are just that, MEDIA. The media phrases its questions so it can generate whose sound bight clips, the first the person who gave the statement knows of it is when the carefully crafted press release appears as something else entirely. Don't believe what you see in the media

The rules the rest of us abide by? that's rich given that maybe half or more of the responders on this thread have admitted using a top handle saw on the ground.

As for how long or how many trees he has cut does it matter? are you assuming it was his 1st. If he's inclined to take risks then I'd suggest that regardless of how long he's been a gardener or chainsaw user he didn't suddenly to decide to start taking risks at 53 and he doesn't look to be too much the worse for it given that he's hanging onto a tree with a chainsaw, in the end he may be a tit and I'm not condoning his actions.That doesn't mean that the to$$er who took the sneaky photo is any less of a to$$er.

As for the media soundbite, he either said it or he didn't.

The rules the rest of us abide by? that's rich given that maybe half or more of the responders on this thread have admitted using a top handle saw on the ground.

And are they hanging off a tree with NO PPE whatsoever

As for the media soundbite, he either said it or he didn't

That is so naive.

And are they hanging off a tree with NO PPE whatsoever

That is so naive.

Fair enough he was really going for it but I guess what he was doing isn't uncommon if people are pruning their own trees.

Re the soundbite, I'm sure he said more than he was quoted as saying but I doubt the particular phrase was concocted by the writer. I still feel that when people are interviewed by the media they feel the need to dramatise.

I've got to say though that his (the gardener) biggest crime was that he believed what he had done to that tree (and reading between the lines what he'd done to trees previously) could be classed as pruning, look at the state of it.

As for how long or how many trees he has cut does it matter? are you assuming it was his 1st. If he's inclined to take risks then I'd suggest that regardless of how long he's been a gardener or chainsaw user he didn't suddenly to decide to start taking risks at 53 and he doesn't look to be too much the worse for it given that he's hanging onto a tree with a chainsaw, in the end he may be a tit and I'm not condoning his actions.That doesn't mean that the to$$er who took the sneaky photo is any less of a to$$er.

As for the media soundbite, he either said it or he didn't.

Or you could look at it another way. If everyone did the same when they saw cowboys at work, and they were all prosecuted the same way, it wouldn't take long before people stopped taking risks, the playing field between bona fide, fully qualified and insured operators would be levelled, and qualified arborists wouldn't have to compete on price and safety with these cowboys.

This guy taking risks like this is no less stupid because he's 53. Plenty of experienced operators get killed in the workplace. It's all too easy to start thinking that because you've gotten away with something a thousand times, that you will get away with it the next time. That's not how probability works. You can get away with shortcuts a million times, but it only needs to go wrong once. When it does, the million times that it was gotten away with no longer count for anything.

I'm still a bit confused as to what they actually prosecuted him for though, but it's something I'd like to see a lot more of.

I didn't say his practices were fine or that he didn't deserve to be fined, only commenting on the way the guy who took the photo addressed the situation and the predictably over-dramatic comments by the HSE bod.

Totally agree that the less cowboys there are the more work for those who spent the time and money to get the correct equipment and training.