New super fast log splitter. Must watch.

Jonesie

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 20/11/2017 at 13:23, Dax said:

Has any one got a more recent receive of the 7 tonne Portek machine? 

Yes I have one of Jan 2018.  It kicked like a mule and I couldn't keep it in gear.  Portek took it back and returned it saying they they fixed it but it didn't seem any better.  The rep called in and said it wasn't right and took it away again.  

I think they scrapped it as I was sent another that they tested first.  This one kicked out of gear with grinding teeth.  Rep called again and found the handles didn't push the rack right down on the pinion. Adjusted the handle stops and we thought it was fixed.  For a few strokes on a difficult log it stayed in gear and either the belt slipped or the motor slowed which I expected.  This couldn't be relied on to happen and I found it impossible to hold it in gear when it decided to kick out.

They have taken it away again and have now sent me a video of it working but not with the log I let them have to test it on.  The operator has to put much force on the handles like the video on the Portek website.  

This is the 7 tonne splitter:-

http://quiksplit.co.uk/

The 5 tonne model looks a lot easier to use as can be seen here:- 

The 28 tonne splitter isn't available as of May 2018 but gather it will be later in the year.  I notice the handle mechanism on the 2018 catalogue is much the same as the 5 tonne splitter which I am informed doesn't comply with EU law.

This one seems to be a lot easier to use and still has two handed operation:- 

Not sure what to do about keeping the Portek.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Martin du Preez said:

at that height they can keep it and i'll keep my back thank you

i was tinkin' the same ting Martin.  Plus it seems to move around when it recoils.  Does look quite good though.

the second video was not very good just waiting for a log to fall on his toes and it was walking backwords all the time the arm kept sticking  and did not seem to cope with anything slightly knotty it wants to be on a stand or your back will be suffering after half a hour 

On 24/05/2018 at 17:42, Mike21 said:

Yes I have one of Jan 2018.  It kicked like a mule and I couldn't keep it in gear.  Portek took it back and returned it saying they they fixed it but it didn't seem any better.  The rep called in and said it wasn't right and took it away again.  

I think they scrapped it as I was sent another that they tested first.  This one kicked out of gear with grinding teeth.  Rep called again and found the handles didn't push the rack right down on the pinion. Adjusted the handle stops and we thought it was fixed.  For a few strokes on a difficult log it stayed in gear and either the belt slipped or the motor slowed which I expected.  This couldn't be relied on to happen and I found it impossible to hold it in gear when it decided to kick out.

They have taken it away again and have now sent me a video of it working but not with the log I let them have to test it on.  The operator has to put much force on the handles like the video on the Portek website.  

This is the 7 tonne splitter:-

http://quiksplit.co.uk/

The 5 tonne model looks a lot easier to use as can be seen here:- 

The 28 tonne splitter isn't available as of May 2018 but gather it will be later in the year.  I notice the handle mechanism on the 2018 catalogue is much the same as the 5 tonne splitter which I am informed doesn't comply with EU law.

This one seems to be a lot easier to use and still has two handed operation:- 

Not sure what to do about keeping the Portek.

I would agree with a lot of the above.

I really liked my old five ton model and had no issues at all with it.  I liked the two handed operation which could be done easily from the side

Unfortunately some barstewards decided that they liked it too and it was nicked, to be replaced by the seven ton model.

I could not really tell the difference between the splitting power but I disliked the two handled operation as to be most effective you needed to stand behind the blade and pull the levers which was dangerous.

it also had a grinding of teeth and I tried to adjust according to the instructions but however much I adjusted the bolts it made no difference to the clearance between rack and pinion.

Sent it back to Jones who claimed that there was nothing wrong and charged £50 for transport at the same time accusing me of not operating it properly as according to them I should have placed the log on to the ram and not on the knife as it would have more impact!

This is talking to someone who has operated the five ton model for over a year with no problems.

i spoke to the manufacture and they agreed with me, that you should place the log against the blade.

So although I still use it and find it has a place at home rather than in the woodyard, I would much prefer to have  my old one back which was a "cracker" !

The Generac one above looks just like the old  five ton Portek painted in a different colour.

just because it says it is a ten ton capacity model does not mean it is.  I cannot think how you would measure the splitting capacity of a kinetic machine relative to a hydraulic one in terms of tons. A lot of material will break more easily with a kinetic shock rather than a slow force, wheel nuts being a good example.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Billhook said:

I would agree with a lot of the above.

I really liked my old five ton model and had no issues at all with it.  I liked the two handed operation which could be done easily from the side

Unfortunately some barstewards decided that they liked it too and it was nicked, to be replaced by the seven ton model.

I could not really tell the difference between the splitting power but I disliked the two handled operation as to be most effective you needed to stand behind the blade and pull the levers which was dangerous.

it also had a grinding of teeth and I tried to adjust according to the instructions but however much I adjusted the bolts it made no difference to the clearance between rack and pinion.

Sent it back to Jones who claimed that there was nothing wrong and charged £50 for transport at the same time accusing me of not operating it properly as according to them I should have placed the log on to the ram and not on the knife as it would have more impact!

This is talking to someone who has operated the five ton model for over a year with no problems.

i spoke to the manufacture and they agreed with me, that you should place the log against the blade.

So although I still use it and find it has a place at home rather than in the woodyard, I would much prefer to have  my old one back which was a "cracker" !

Hi Billhook

Glad to hear from you but am sorry to learn you had your 5 tonne splitter nicked.  

At least you have the experience of the 5 tonne and 7 tonne versions and are able to confirm my fears there is a problem with the 7 tonne jumping out of gear.

When Portek adjusted the handle stops the distance nut was removed and replaced with two washers.  That pushed the rack down on the pinion but I still couldn't hold it in gear.  At first I thought the top cover was holding the handles back but I had the same result with the cover removed.

Portek still has mine and have asked what I want to do about it.  As their new advertising video mentions kick back I assume this is a known problem.  My wife refuses to use it so have asked the retailer for a refund.