Blanking off the egr valve

Maxnaggle

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vito was three years old 60k on clock delivering merc parts around Southampton. We needed something for a few weeks while Landrover tried to screw our d4 disco back together.

the van was mint condition and cheap with warranty but smoked heavily on start up and was gutless . We put the usual 800 kg of tools and oil on and booted it to Glasgow.

During the journey there was a strong smell of hot metal on several occasions but no smoke. The dpf now rattles around nicely in the exhaust so I don't think it will block up. Now no smoke on start up and it goes like the clappers :thumbup:

Got you… Have come across this point that if the engine management puts the engine into re gen and the engine is then turned off before this has fully happened then the unburnt fuel can wash the cylinders and end up in the sump if it happens enough times. Im not directly familiar with Trooper engine as my truck was a Brava non turbo and before all the issues.Most makers iv come across seem to put there injector just before the DPF or are using Uria in the engine rather than raw fuel injection.

Yea and if sufficient fuel get in the oil and the level rises enough for the mixture to get back into the cylinders the engine then starts to run on this and revs uncontrollably and blows up ...:biggrin:

Yea and if sufficient fuel get in the oil and the level rises enough for the mixture to get back into the cylinders the engine then starts to run on this and revs uncontrollably and blows up ...:biggrin:

Oh Nice !! Closest iv come to that was on the early 2.5 turbo diesel land rover .

Rocker cover vapour soaking the air filter and then the engine running on the oil. Some early Discos with a leak on the turbo have revved themselves to death if the engine hasn't been staled …fast ! Have seen the aftermath of that !not pretty.

I had non turbo 2.5d 90 at the time the turbo was causing some concern and kept it for 20 0dd yrs ,slow but less temperamental . Better than walking in the rain :biggrin:

Oh Nice !! Closest iv come to that was on the early 2.5 turbo diesel land rover .

Rocker cover vapour soaking the air filter and then the engine running on the oil. Some early Discos with a leak on the turbo have revved themselves to death if the engine hasn't been staled …fast ! Have seen the aftermath of that !not pretty.

I had non turbo 2.5d 90 at the time the turbo was causing some concern and kept it for 20 0dd yrs ,slow but less temperamental . Better than walking in the rain :biggrin:

The turbo diesel was the same engine as yours but with an extra piston ring. I think the extra heat was destroying the piston and rings. Some engine lasted a bit longer with an after market inter cooler. They never addressed it till they brought out the 200 tdi.

The turbo diesel was the same engine as yours but with an extra piston ring. I think the extra heat was destroying the piston and rings. Some engine lasted a bit longer with an after market inter cooler. They never addressed it till they brought out the 200 tdi.

There was talk of a premature wear of the bore's at the time if memory serves..? ..cant remember if the rings were to hard or the bore was to soft but i was aware of 50,000 (or bellow ) mile ones that were needing a full sort out.

Blanked off EGR, remover CAT, remap on my 53 plate 130 TD5 all of which improved the performance. It can put a bit of black smoke out if you put the foot down but it has pased two MOTs no problem. I would do it all again if I had another.

After doing the above to my Navara I think I get less black smoke as no exhaust gases are fed back into the combustion chamber .

• 2 weeks later...