When should i jump ship?

Orchard

My Land Rover was a money pit.

every time I'd plough more money into it I'd think "that should be the end of the spending for a while"

It never ended, even a week before I sold it I had to spend €800 on the selector fork.

I'm not going to tell you to sell or not, just don't assume the spending will ever stop.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 6 month old navara had the oil pressure light come on this morning. So checked oil and it's managed to use 1.4L of oil in the six months.

So it's off to Nissan on Friday to see if they can find out what's up with it.

Can't say I'm overly impressed

I heard that is normal apparently/allegedly

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID

My Land Rover was a money pit.

every time I'd plough more money into it I'd think "that should be the end of the spending for a while"

It never ended, even a week before I sold it I had to spend €800 on the selector fork.

I'm not going to tell you to sell or not, just don't assume the spending will ever stop.

We bought a Def TD5 second hand, ex utilities, at 60k miles. By the time it hit 90k all the big stuff started to go. Ran a Merc E class from 178k miles to 230k miles, I rebuilt ALL the suspension and brakes, bullet proof motor and box but then the ABS pump goes, aircon pump goes, windows drop and won't come back up, SRS airbags show red light on dash... still did 55 mpg at 95 mph but all too expensive to sort and pass the test.

At the end of the day you get to about 100k miles and all sorts of stuff starts to fail depending on how well it was made and how well it was treated subsequently.

My 6 month old navara had the oil pressure light come on this morning. So checked oil and it's managed to use 1.4L of oil in the six months.

Can't say I'm overly impressed👎👎👎

Completely normal I'm afraid.

Iirc it even states so in the user manual. It is usual to use up to 2l of oil in the first 6 months or so.

Iirc it even states so in the user manual. It is usual to use up to 2l of oil in the first 6 months or so.

Strange because I took it to Nissan this morning to see if they could look at it. No time until Friday but I did ask if they did use some oil he (the guy on the desk not a mechanic ) said no and that they wanted to look into it under warranty. A friend of mine has an Audi and that uses oil.

Hopefully it's just running in that's causing it.

Can't say I'm overly impressed👎👎👎

Beat me to it. Perfectly acceptable running in. Yes, modern engines do need to run in!:001_rolleyes:

Morning

Early last year i bought a 2008 ford ranger double cab 96k on clock (full history, 2 owners). Being my first proper half decent truck i got its oils, filters, tyres and belts changed and got it undersealed etc, then i bought a N&J Aluminium linings chip box/canopy for the back and got it stickered up with my company logo etc. A few months later on a long drive down to france it jumped out of 5th gear by the time i got home i was holding it in with my knee. This continued on to the point where a new gearbox was required as there was too much damage and the labour in repairing it was going to be somewhere near a genuine ford recon box (which was the same price as a recon box from other firms too). So i got the box changed put a new clutch in, the flywheel was also buggered so that got changed also! So i though thats it i have spent good money on it it should be fine for a good while now.....Yesterday smell of diff oil when walking past it, i looked under to find oil pissing out the front diff drive shaft oil seals. On closer inspection i find the diff bearings are away also, so it requires a bit of a rebuild so it needs more money spent! So i just dont know what to do now, i have spent loads on it and feel like i cant turn back now but then i think what will happen next!! So i thought i'd ask those who may have been there and done it before me which i am sure some will have! Any advice cheers.

Truck 5000

canopy 800

Oils, filters, belts 700

underseal 200

stickers, chevrons 350

gearbox, flywheel, clutch etc 4000

cheers

How on earth did they arrive at those figures? Did they offer to tarmac your drive as well?

Bob

Edited by aspenarb