A little advice please

Starscream

I have only been in this sort of situation a couple of times, but I would definitely recommend talking to the neighbour. maybe explain that if foliage etc is encroaching on their property and they don't accept the opportunity to have it removed now free of charge, the owner fulfilled their legal obligation which was refused, and if they decide they want it removed at a later date, they will have to do so at their own expense. Its sh*t talk but might work. Failing that if they have any shrubs, hedges etc that need a trim, offer to do it in return for access. Just make sure the work you offer to do for free doesn't take as long as the time you will save by getting access! Just appeal to their good nature, explain you're just a worker here to do a job, which will take a lot longer and be more dangerous without access. if they're any sort of decent human being, they'll not put an innocent stranger out over something you had nothing to do with. :thumbup1:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone pointed out, if there is some sort of feud then there will be two very different sides to it, if you want to hear both sides you're going to have to ask the neighbour. They may play ball, they may not, they sure as hell won't if you start cutting without conferring with them first.

I have only been in this sort of situation a couple of times, but I would definitely recommend talking to the neighbour. maybe explain that if foliage etc is encroaching on their property and they don't accept the opportunity to have it removed now free of charge, the owner fulfilled their legal obligation which was refused, and if they decide they want it removed at a later date, they will have to do so at their own expense. Its sh*t talk but might work. Failing that if they have any shrubs, hedges etc that need a trim, offer to do it in return for access. Just make sure the work you offer to do for free doesn't take as long as the time you will save by getting access! Just appeal to their good nature, explain you're just a worker here to do a job, which will take a lot longer and be more dangerous without access. if they're any sort of decent human being, they'll not put an innocent stranger out over something you had nothing to do with. :thumbup1:

Many thanks for your considered response, it's the advice I was hoping for. I will appeal to their better nature and see what happens as it will add time to the job if I can't do certain things from their side. Thanks again

I received an email response from a customer today and it's not something I've had to deal with before.. Here's some background to the job/quote - it's to

Prune a birch by around 20%, a beech by around 30% and to cut back some overhang and to reduce a small spindly beech tree that's grown bent and basically arcs into the neighbours garden.

When I did the quote I got the feeling they didn't get on with the neighbours and it now rings true.

Here's part of the email:

The 16 th of January2016 will be suitable for us. However you will not be able to gain access onto the neighbouring property to carry out your work. All material removed from the neighbours tree on our side in the back garden will have to be given back in accordance with the law. The over grown branch growing into the neighbours garden will have to be cut back from our land, and if this is not possible please let me know.

the birch is fine, no issues; the beech overhangs their drive, but not by much and with any luck I should just be able to cut and chuck; the spindly beech I could prob climb and yank back into her garden albeit not easily (should have been a simple ladder and pole saw jobby) the bit I don't know how to proceed on is the overhang and giving it back. They're clearly being difficult as it's just some bloody holly!! Tiny stuff, pole saw and hedgecutter work. Obviously it sounds simple, but, I don't want to just throw it over the fence. Should I knock for the neighbour prior to the job and arrange what they want me to do with the arisings? Any input gratefully received,

Matt

Hi MATT DID the customer tell you this when around 1st time seen the chap tell him keep the job move on he was not up front with you thanks Jon

I would have no interest in knowing the ins and outs of the disagreement, from either side.

I would simply tell the client that I would need to speak to the neighbour before putting anything back over the fence.

I've done loads of jobs like this over the years, generally if you just go and speak with the neighbour, explaining you are simply wishing to carry out the required work with the least inconvenience for all concerned, they see sense and let you get on.

As someone pointed out, if there is some sort of feud then there will be two very different sides to it, if you want to hear both sides you're going to have to ask the neighbour. They may play ball, they may not, they sure as hell won't if you start cutting without conferring with them first.

Only polite to inform the neighbour of the work anyway.

Only polite to inform the neighbour of the work anyway.

I would have done but the client said she'd take care of it.. This was obviously the outcome! Obviously I would have introduced myself on the day if I hadn't heard anything to make me think she hadn't dealt with it. I'm always as polite and courteous as possible as it can always lead to more work.