Alpine tractor - which make ?

tcfengineering

Hi all

We're in SW Ireland, trying to work out how to get timber out of our wee woodland. We've got a very mixed 40 acres with some semi-ancient woodland and various plantations ranging from 30 years old and more or less brand new. Much of the terrain is very corrugated, and there's a moderately good network of fairly narrow tracks, none of it at too steep a gradient. Because of the different grants we inherited here, we're locked into working with a local forestry professional to do the paperwork, and we've just got the licence to do a fairly big thinning - sycamore, spruce, oak, ash and more. I've told our forester that we're not going to be having anyone come in with harvesters and forwarders and driving big access tracks through the land - we're principally managing the land as an informal nature reserve but I'm going to be very happy to sell a few tens of tons of firewood. 

I've got two questions for the collective wisdom here

1. Trailers. I want a wee trailer with a crane - I have noted criticism of some of the more highly advertised brands as to quality. What are the best dinky ones?

2. Tractor. I want an equally wee Alpine. Has anyone any experience with an old Pasquali, like a 993? It seems you can get clean ones for less than five grand - it's not going to be used very heavily, only on our own land, and only pulling a dinky trailer, so i assume 25 horse power or so is adequate. Another thousand quid to get it to Ireland?

Cheers guys!

Ed

42429007_1646386185_795.jpg.69b6bcc29d3961d705739dbd0b7feb45.jpg

It would be lovely to get a new AGT or Carraro, but it's not going to happen.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Hi all

We're in SW Ireland, trying to work out how to get timber out of our wee woodland. We've got a very mixed 40 acres with some semi-ancient woodland and various plantations ranging from 30 years old and more or less brand new. Much of the terrain is very corrugated, and there's a moderately good network of fairly narrow tracks, none of it at too steep a gradient. Because of the different grants we inherited here, we're locked into working with a local forestry professional to do the paperwork, and we've just got the licence to do a fairly big thinning - sycamore, spruce, oak, ash and more. I've told our forester that we're not going to be having anyone come in with harvesters and forwarders and driving big access tracks through the land - we're principally managing the land as an informal nature reserve but I'm going to be very happy to sell a few tens of tons of firewood. 

1. Trailers. I want a wee trailer with a crane - I have noted criticism of some of the more highly advertised brands as to quality. What are the best dinky ones?

2. Tractor. I want an equally wee Alpine. Has anyone any experience with an old Pasquali, like a 993? It seems you can get clean ones for less than five grand - it's not going to be used very heavily, only on our own land, and only pulling a dinky trailer, so i assume 25 horse power or so is adequate. Another thousand quid to get it to Ireland?

Cheers guys!

Ed

Looks well old. There's a more modern Ferrari for similar money on eBay currently- better be quick as it ends in two hours!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285056782071

16 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Hi all

Cheers guys!

Ed

Get yourself one of these!20221209_123822.thumb.jpg.c25dc021c2907c64c36098ad13151d28.jpg Or just hire it with operator for the extraction and save the cost of a tractor. Pm me if you're interested in hire and I'll put you in touch with it's owner. He has a small scale harvester too. North West based but covers all ireland.

9 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

I had a friend once. Didn’t last. That was probably a bit of a bargain: it didn’t look like a spammer. 

It looked genuine. I’d say it was a fair price rather than a bargain. Prices are coming down a lot. 

it was a basic tractor, low hp and no reverse drive. Hydro transmission im a fan of though. 

i did consider it but realistically I have a 26hp tractor in the Kubota (much more agile) and a hydro alpine with more hp. Plus an Iseki. Was tempted though.