Alpine tractor - which make ?

tcfengineering

Draft (spelt correctly) is where the tractor senses the load on the top link when being pulled it then automatically raises or lowers them to keep the load constant usually used for ground contact ploughs cultivators  etc position is where the lever position in the arc has a direct relevance to the height of the arms with fully foreward being float arms go up and down as the implement covers the ground

your tractor was made to push and used mainly in reverse drive making draft useless

stand on the arms and hold onto the roll cage get someone to operate each spool in order with your weight they should go down when the correct spool is moved 

I think the single valve ( only one way operation ) operates the accumulator into the lift circuit ie on or off the knob is to regulate how fast it responds

you should have two spools on the back to operate a ram etc the thing with the blue bung 

I added a return to tank for mine make hydraulic powered implement better

the hydraulic filter is on the solid tube on the left hand side off the engine, the hydraulic tank is the front axle

check underneath the tank return could be unguarded into the front axle

under the seat is a lift up leaver flip it up and tap the seat foreward it will slide off you should find another behind the steering column, the knob at the front alters the position of the column 

the leaver on the side underneath the spools is the diff lock the front one being on a pedal

on the side next to the top link is a leaver to change 540/1000 pto and under that the leaver to operate the ground drive pto underneath the top pto

on left of column opposite the hand throttle is the reverse drive lever these snap if forced,  before trying to change the steering wheel direction for reverse drive 

take off your brake drums the shafts seize on the brake where they enter the drums bit of heat should help lude then we’ll mine suffered from running in English winters 

check the radiator mounts if left to wear the rad vibrates into the fan 

if you need to buy a water pump it is specific to this tractor the one listed by VM has too long a shaft

Edited by dumper
Spelling
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, dumper said:

Draft (spelt correctly) is where the tractor senses the load on the top link when being pulled it then automatically raises or lowers them to keep the load constant usually used for ground contact ploughs cultivators  etc position is where the lever position in the arc has a direct relevance to the height of the arms with fully foreward being float arms go up and down as the implement covers the ground

your tractor was made to push and used mainly in reverse drive making draft useless

stand on the arms and hold onto the roll cage get someone to operate each spool in order with your weight they should go down when the correct spool is moved 

I think the single valve ( only one way operation ) operates the accumulator into the lift circuit ie on or off the knob is to regulate how fast it responds

you should have two spools on the back to operate a ram etc the thing with the blue bung 

I added a return to tank for mine make hydraulic powered implement better

the hydraulic filter is on the solid tube on the left hand side off the engine, the hydraulic tank is the front axle

check underneath the tank return could be unguarded into the front axle

under the seat is a lift up leaver flip it up and tap the seat foreward it will slide off you should find another behind the steering column, the knob at the front alters the position of the column 

the leaver on the side underneath the spools is the diff lock the front one being on a pedal

on the side next to the top link is a leaver to change 540/1000 pto and under that the leaver to operate the ground drive pto underneath the top pto

on left of column opposite the hand throttle is the reverse drive lever these snap if forced,  before trying to change the steering wheel direction for reverse drive 

take off your brake drums the shafts seize on the brake where they enter the drums bit of heat should help lude then we’ll mine suffered from running in English winters 

check the radiator mounts if left to wear the rad vibrates into the fan 

if you need to buy a water pump it is specific to this tractor the one listed by VM has too long a shaft

This is all excellent info :)

I still have some questions though.

If i use a flail, with no draft, does that mean i will have to control the height entirely manually?

Or am i better propelling it the other way?

I think the single valve ( only one way operation ) operates the accumulator into the lift circuit ie on or off the knob is to regulate how fast it responds   Im still not sure i understand this. If i can raise and lower the lift with the 2 wy lever, what does this add to that process?

check underneath the tank return could be unguarded into the front axle  Guard fitted :)

under the seat is a lift up leaver flip it up and tap the seat foreward it will slide off you should find another behind the steering column, the knob at the front alters the position of the column  Yep, found those. Releasing them frees nothing. They both look to be held down with 4 nuts. Am i supposed to slacken these off as well? If not, must just be corroded on.

on the side next to the top link is a leaver to change 540/1000 pto and under that the leaver to operate the ground drive pto underneath the top pto  You have reffered to 3 levers here, but i only see two. One half tucked under the cab frame behind the 3 levers, another below to the right of the seat. I completely lost on this? I also see the second PTO under the plate. this doesnt look like its been removed. Ever. What function does it perform that the exposed one doesnt?

take off your brake drums the shafts seize on the brake where they enter the drums bit of  Thats the next job. Both completely seized.

I know some of these question probably seem dumb, but ive never operated a tractor beyond moving them occasionally. At the moment, the only job i have lined up for it is soring out a field using a flail.

9 hours ago, Roger440 said:

This is all excellent info :)

I still have some questions though.

If i use a flail, with no draft, does that mean i will have to control the height entirely manually?

Or am i better propelling it the other way?

I think the single valve ( only one way operation ) operates the accumulator into the lift circuit ie on or off the knob is to regulate how fast it responds   Im still not sure i understand this. If i can raise and lower the lift with the 2 wy lever, what does this add to that process?

check underneath the tank return could be unguarded into the front axle  Guard fitted :)

under the seat is a lift up leaver flip it up and tap the seat foreward it will slide off you should find another behind the steering column, the knob at the front alters the position of the column  Yep, found those. Releasing them frees nothing. They both look to be held down with 4 nuts. Am i supposed to slacken these off as well? If not, must just be corroded on.

on the side next to the top link is a leaver to change 540/1000 pto and under that the leaver to operate the ground drive pto underneath the top pto  You have reffered to 3 levers here, but i only see two. One half tucked under the cab frame behind the 3 levers, another below to the right of the seat. I completely lost on this? I also see the second PTO under the plate. this doesnt look like its been removed. Ever. What function does it perform that the exposed one doesnt?

take off your brake drums the shafts seize on the brake where they enter the drums bit of  Thats the next job. Both completely seized.

I know some of these question probably seem dumb, but ive never operated a tractor beyond moving them occasionally. At the moment, the only job i have lined up for it is soring out a field using a flail.

You just drop the flail on the ground and drive. Draft control is for automatically lifting a ground engaging implement such as a plough up a little if the tractor is struggling.  

11 hours ago, Roger440 said:

No I think that the accumulator will allow the linkage to float

11 hours ago, Roger440 said:

They both look to be held down with 4 nuts. Am i supposed to slacken these off as well? If not, must just be corroded on.

No just tap the seat towards the engine and the steering column towards the seat

6 hours ago, dumper said:

No I think that the accumulator will allow the linkage to float

The accumulator I would say is for 'soft ride' when carrying heavy linkage mounted implements. All tractor linkages float in my experience, whether through being single acting rams or having a float setting built in to the spool.

The knob could well be just a flow restrictor to stop heavy implements from slamming down into the ground when you lower the linkage, almost all tractors have this in some form.

Edited by doobin

26 minutes ago, doobin said:

The accumulator I would say is for 'soft ride' when carrying heavy linkage mounted implements. All tractor linkages float in my experience, whether through being single acting rams or having a float setting built in to the spool.

The knob could well be just a flow restrictor to stop heavy implements from slamming down into the ground when you lower the linkage, almost all tractors have this in some form.

You could be right why I thought it might be done via accumulator is that there are no levers visible for position, so unless one of the spools  locks into the open how would it float?

wont know till it’s running then should be obvious 

12 hours ago, dumper said:

You could be right why I thought it might be done via accumulator is that there are no levers visible for position, so unless one of the spools  locks into the open how would it float?

wont know till it’s running then should be obvious 

On my alpine (Antonio Carrarro with very similar looking spool block) the 'position' lever is simply a spool lever connected to the linkage rams with a float detent on one side, power up the other and neutral in the middle. Even if in neutral it would still float to an extent due to the single acting rams.

• 3 months later...

Ok, im back. After weeks of fighting every siezed joint imaginable im very close to going for a test run.

I am, however, still baffled by the hydraulics.

The first issue is that the linkage never drops. Surely over time this should just sink. No amount of force will make it go down. Everything is free to move including the rams. Its alkl been off and back on.

Secondly, i still dont grasp the function of the 3 levers. I have a pretty diagram, but im none the wiser. Clearly lever 10 is for attachements, like a side shift on a flail.

Lever 8 is connected to the left hand ram. But also go to the three way valve, 5.

And then the middle lever, 9, is connected to another valve and the accumalator.

Clearly the middle and right levers have some kind of relationship

Can anyone explain it to me please?

What does the right hand ram do? What does the three way valve do?

Capture controls.JPG