Snedding Tips

Will Cobb

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

part of the past 2 days job on a construction site was 3 large beech to fell, being methodical is best, agreeing with swb we parked the chipper, rollers facing the butt of tree, 1 groundie chipping one dragging and me working outside in, cutting everything in chipper friendly bits, leaving the branches underneath/with weight, basicallw snedding the bigger branches then the trunk, once all the easy stuff is cleared, cut the supporting/tensioned branches and deal with the timber (crane for me:D )

otherwise its start at the butt flopping everything down either side if the tree neatly so the cord can be extracted or branches easilly dragged out the way to chip

just be methodical and neat

Two people who know what they are doing can process and big nasty hardwood fell quick well together. Only as long as they completely aware at what the other is doing and in more or less constant communication.

Well works for me sometimes anyway :001_smile:

A tip for snedding, dont let any customers watch or you will be guaranteed to trap your saw every other cut! :blushing:

Two people who know what they are doing can process and big nasty hardwood fell quick well together. Only as long as they completely aware at what the other is doing and in more or less constant communication.

Well works for me sometimes anyway :001_smile:

A tip for snedding, dont let any customers watch or you will be guaranteed to trap your saw every other cut! :blushing:

Second you on that!

Me and a collegue always break up the tree together.

Him or me makes the fell, I break up tke crown in managble bits/cut, fold and stack to lengths for lorry w. crane to pick up, he tapers the stem into 4m lengths and sned from bottom up, its all about eye contact and experience, any dodgy/hard to decide if tree is going to move is alarmed and the other person steps outside the dangerzone.

Works for us!

Ive done it with previous collegues too, but also avoided doing it with some cause we werent on the same "wavelenght".

A Swedish collegue is a instructor in snedding, hes got a nice flow...;

• 2 weeks later...