Tractor or telehandler or both?

Daythe trees

I' m in need of a machine to do the following; lift bulk log bags, shovel wood chip, split logs, cut grass and flail hedges. So I am thinking a medium tractor with about 85-100hp favouring kubota. I want to buy the right machine/s as I know once I have it I will find more work for it to do so will only regret buying something cheap or too small/large.

I have no farming background apart from learning to drive in a mf 135 and 390 pulling toppers, rollers and big trailers. But I've never run or owned this kind of gear.

Can anyone help by telling me what to avoid or what to look for?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what steve said and you may find yourself paying out more on and for a

'85-100hp favouring kubota'

than a jd or mf, if you have more than light loader work go 4wd for a stronger front axle.

you can get telehandlers with 3 point linkage etc but there aren't cheap.

depends a lot on how deep your pockets are and length of arms:biggrin:

Well I am a Yorkshire man so deep pockets and very short arms.

Hadn't considered the parts issue, was just using the proliferation of three cylinder kubota engines in other kit as a guide that parts would be plentiful.

Thanks for the replies you are confirming what I thought.

I' m in need of a machine to do the following; lift bulk log bags, shovel wood chip, split logs, cut grass and flail hedges. So I am thinking a medium tractor with about 85-100hp favouring kubota. I want to buy the right machine/s as I know once I have it I will find more work for it to do so will only regret buying something cheap or too small/large.

I have no farming background apart from learning to drive in a mf 135 and 390 pulling toppers, rollers and big trailers. But I've never run or owned this kind of gear.

Hi mate there's pics of my tractor on the tractor tread thanks Jon

looks like a nice tractor setup jon.

Hi DAVID it is but I do not use it as much as I like to it a good starter in cold weather good on fuel air con and heater and lights radio to works lifts 2 ton winch on front new front bucket large and pallet forks rear wheel weights all so trailer brarking to thanks Jon text me if anyone needs no help thanks Jon

I'm in the same position myself at present. I'm looking for a suitable "hobby" machine to tow firewood, lift bags into trailer etc.

I'm only looking after my own firewood needs, cutting and drawing from nearby farms etc.

I'm on the lookout for a sub 100hp machine, as fresh as possible, the only criteria being the fastest road gearing possible, preferably 40 kph.

In the past I had an Iseki 30hp midi compact which was a lovely machine, but too small for a decent load and not suitable for roading, although was road registered. One thing I will say, Japanese small tractor prices are horrendous. For example a replacement water pump was £450. Could have got the same for a Ford or MF for about £50.

Also dealerships for these machines are limited. Even farmers will tell you the most important thing when selecting a machine is the presence and quality of a local dealership.

I'm leaning towards a Massey 390, Deere 6400 or New Holland 6640. All these are rated as "bomb proof" machines with proven mechanicals and little in the way of overly complicated electronics. However they do hold their price well secondhand.

Wish you well with your search.

I'm in the same position myself at present. I'm looking for a suitable "hobby" machine to tow firewood, lift bags into trailer etc.

I'm only looking after my own firewood needs, cutting and drawing from nearby farms etc.

I'm on the lookout for a sub 100hp machine, as fresh as possible, the only criteria being the fastest road gearing possible, preferably 40 kph.

In the past I had an Iseki 30hp midi compact which was a lovely machine, but too small for a decent load and not suitable for roading, although was road registered. One thing I will say, Japanese small tractor prices are horrendous. For example a replacement water pump was £450. Could have got the same for a Ford or MF for about £50.

Also dealerships for these machines are limited. Even farmers will tell you the most important thing when selecting a machine is the presence and quality of a local dealership.

I'm leaning towards a Massey 390, Deere 6400 or New Holland 6640. All these are rated as "bomb proof" machines with proven mechanicals and little in the way of overly complicated electronics. However they do hold their price well secondhand.

Wish you well with your search.

Hi mate they hold there money as there sort after as you said there easy to work on and loads gone for export now all the best Jon