Best passenger car 6-cylinder diesel engine?

TimberCutterDartmoor

I'm looking for a new car in the New Year. Owned Saab 9-5 (Isuzu) 3.0TiD and Passat V6 TDI.

Overall reliability is the prime objective since I'm fed up with CCM and other electrics in the VW - getting troublesome.

I'm aware of the following but have I missed anything?

1) Jaguar 2.7d (PSA/Ford V6 engine), also fitted in Pug 407.

2) Audi 2.7/3.0 V6 TDI.

3) BMW 3.0 straight-six (inc 3 and 5 series 525d/530d/535d etc)

4) Vauxhall Vectra / Signum 3.0 cdti (Y30dt) V6 as per Saab TiD.

5) Mercedes - 300/320 etc. I understand they went from a straight-6 to a V.

6) Toyota 4.2 - N/A as want car not 4x4.

I wish Lexus would make something. Plus there are some nice 5-pots around in the Alfas, Mercs, Volvo etc.

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a 535d and I think its probably one of the best diesel engines ever made.

Its the 2nd 3.0 BMW I've had and reliability is excellent in my experience.

I also have a discovery which has the 2.7d in. 67k so far and no issues and probably one of the most silent diesel engines I've heard but not as nice as the BMW. I have also had the 330d (excellent) a A6 3.0TDIQ which was also excellent but not as nice as the BMW, especially to drive. I also had the A4 2.7TDI which seemed a waste of an engine as it had 190bhp but used almost as much fuel as the A6 with 240!

The newer 3.0d in the discovery 4 is meant to be really good but I have no experience of that. If I had the choice I'd go with the BMW engine every time over the Audi. I'd personally steer clear of the Vauxhall after having a 2.5d in an Omega which gave me no end of trouble. The newer 525d is actually a 4 cylinder now with a paid turbocharges. Very economical though.

Merry Christmas

BMW or Mercedes if looked after go forever mind you any of them can and will suffer from electrical gremlins at some point also modern emissions control such as egr Dpfs selective cats and additive systems cause the most issues !

The last VW emissions episode highlighted the problems getting modern small diesels to comply with emission standards and I wouldn't be surprised if the small high speed diesels day as a car power plant are numbered :(

I have a 535d and I think its probably one of the best diesel engines ever made.

Its the 2nd 3.0 BMW I've had and reliability is excellent in my experience.

I also have a discovery which has the 2.7d in. 67k so far and no issues and probably one of the most silent diesel engines I've heard but not as nice as the BMW. I have also had the 330d (excellent) a A6 3.0TDIQ which was also excellent but not as nice as the BMW, especially to drive. I also had the A4 2.7TDI which seemed a waste of an engine as it had 190bhp but used almost as much fuel as the A6 with 240!

The newer 3.0d in the discovery 4 is meant to be really good but I have no experience of that. If I had the choice I'd go with the BMW engine every time over the Audi. I'd personally steer clear of the Vauxhall after having a 2.5d in an Omega which gave me no end of trouble. The newer 525d is actually a 4 cylinder now with a paid turbocharges. Very economical though.

Merry Christmas

The 2.5 in the Omega was a BMW engine tho! The six was anyway...

I really don't want to own a BMW tho, I like to be let out of junctions sometimes!

The jag engine and discovery are the same. Made by ford sometimes ok more often than not crap.

Shame you don't want a 4x4 because the 4.2 straight six is a very high pressure direct injection and very durable and reliable.

I think the 4 cyl merc is good and the v6 never gives our local merc dealer any problems.

The 6 cyl bmw engines are good with the swirl flaps out. The 4 cylinder is cheap crap assembled in South Wales.

I drive a 2006 A6 2.7 V6 dti auto bought new. It averages 37mpg and will do 45mpg on long motorway runs. In terms of maintenance I've only ever had to pay for routine service/wear items. Fantastic car/engine.

Hi HANSER there good cars mate I no some one who had all roader of that age great car thanks Jon