Stihl MS250 carb issues

flatyre

Was using my little ms250 the other day taking out a row of mid sized conifers. Not a pro saw but it has never let me down, but after a good four hours work it started dying at full revs, took the air filter cover off and could see fuel spitting out the carb into the gauze air filter. Saw still started easily but had to keep the revs down or it would cut out. It limped on like that for another hour until lunch but wouldn't start after, not even a splutter. The local Stihl dealer will sell me a carb diaphragm kit for £40 or a carb for £72. Bit steep I thought, but he offered to do a sonic bath for £10. Would this do any good and if not are the cheap Chinese carbs off ebay any good or just a total waste of money?

Was using my little ms250 the other day taking out a row of mid sized conifers. Not a pro saw but it has never let me down, but after a good four hours work it started dying at full revs, took the air filter cover off and could see fuel spitting out the carb into the gauze air filter. Saw still started easily but had to keep the revs down or it would cut out. It limped on like that for another hour until lunch but wouldn't start after, not even a splutter. The local Stihl dealer will sell me a carb diaphragm kit for £40 or a carb for £72. Bit steep I thought, but he offered to do a sonic bath for £10. Would this do any good and if not are the cheap Chinese carbs off ebay any good or just a total waste of money?

Sounds like the needle valve is leaking, you need to pressure check the carb to see if it leaks down. Carb kits are available from Rowena Motors and are genuine Walbro, Tillotson and Zama so OEM without the Stihl plastic box!

A clean may do it if the fella knows his stuff!

Cheers guys, have put Rowena Motors in my ,favourites' folder, will come in very handy in future. $25 USD is about the same as the carbs on ebay from China, what about import tax?

Ive tried numberous times to contact rowena motors but have been told they dont deal with individuals, just dealers etc?

I contacted them easily enough but I thought they were expensive. They wanted over £10 plus postage for a diaphragm when a complete kit from ebay was under £4 post free. That was for a Walbro on my old Dynamac. A friend of mine bought a complete Zama carb for his 039 from an ebay seller for around £20 delivered.

I contacted them easily enough but I thought they were expensive. They wanted over £10 plus postage for a diaphragm when a complete kit from ebay was under £4 post free. That was for a Walbro on my old Dynamac. A friend of mine bought a complete Zama carb for his 039 from an ebay seller for around £20 delivered.

I really don't understand this, I mail them with the parts I need, they send through a Paypal request, I pay and they deliver within 24hrs. I won't say how much I pay but needless to say, it is bloody good value even compared to ebay prices.

I have always found them very helpful to the point I have sent images of an elusive accelerator pump I was looking for and they matched it. They even sent a part I was enquiring about before I had paid!:thumbup:

Perhaps it may be how business is done but they are damn good IMO and always do the leg work on carb model, type of parts and pay within hours:thumbup:

Cheers guys, have put Rowena Motors in my ,favourites' folder, will come in very handy in future. $25 USD is about the same as the carbs on ebay from China, what about import tax?

$25 USD was oem here.

$10-$15 for the aftermarket ones

You do realize the stihl zama ones are from china too. Stihl bought the china plant long ago.

I really don't understand this, I mail them with the parts I need, they send through a Paypal request, I pay and they deliver within 24hrs. I won't say how much I pay but needless to say, it is bloody good value even compared to ebay prices.

I have always found them very helpful to the point I have sent images of an elusive accelerator pump I was looking for and they matched it. They even sent a part I was enquiring about before I had paid!:thumbup:

Perhaps it may be how business is done but they are damn good IMO and always do the leg work on carb model, type of parts and pay within hours:thumbup:

Rowena used to be a well kept secret......Hmmm