Annoyed with myself

Rob D

Took a large oak down today (good 4 foot plus at bottom). Had a slight backwards lean but weight evenly balanced. Was in the middle of a thorny hedgerow and then behind it was a minor road and power line. Oak was pretty much dead with only a few bits of green left. So started to clear away the fence and make some space around it only to find a few hornets flying around...!

After they'd cleared off carried on... Arranged to have road closed and got John (Shutler) to come over in his pickup to give a hand pulling it over.

Everything going smoothly, closed road, took out sink/gob cut. There was a bit of decay but plenty holding wood. Went in one side with an 18" bar on Makita and put in a couple plastic wedges. Tensioned pull lines and then finished back cut with 880... Don't ask me how as I've felled plenty of big trees but I didn't bring the saw parallel with the sink (thought I had done).

So followed a hard 45 minutes of wedging and tensioning, wedging and tensioning..... Finally pulled it over.... Showed a large portion of uncut wood in the middle of the tree.

Could have avoided all of that if only I'd stuck the saw back in and double checked.... but I didn't..... :blushing: They say it's the end result that counts but by a schoolboy error I made a lot of work for myself today...:thumbdown: Slap on wrist administered!

597654988f606_Hornettree005.jpg.9a0c8fa1af1ce505cb5624bc3c9bf0b8.jpg

597654988c38c_Hornettree003.jpg.9ec0c69cd81fc37f2692e9dd1a76e1c7.jpg

5976549888594_Hornettree002.jpg.18cf08f44f8086bb37f0f819bfe0ab6a.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why did you start with the makita:sneaky2:(i wont go down the blue saw thing, that is a whole different discussion lol) :001_tongue: how is johns clutch in the jeep, ha ha

monday mondays rob.:lol:

the problem is trying to bore in with a pile of hedgrow jabbing you in the back, and the engine gets in the way. easy done mate, next time just 88 the dam thing from the other side, but dont do what i did one day and cut right through the hinge ha ha

Edited by Stephen Blair

Oh I'm in that corner right now naked whilst telling my girlfriend 'harder' with a freshly sharpened .404 chain....!

As Stevie says it was thorns in the back and engine getting in the way - but no excuses - I could easily have cut the hedge back a bit more! Could have double checked by sliding the saw back in before putting 9 wedges into the cut!!

Ah well but we do live and learn don't we!!

:sneaky2::biggrin: