stihl 090av up and running

Rik Blaauw

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I started a thread on buying a stihl 090.

I Bought the saw and after cleaning everything I have it up and running!

Thanks to everybody that supplied me with advice.

Here's some pics of the saw.

IMG_2713.jpg.b56bf22fd5fc11193a88c7be74f946f3.jpg

P1030486.jpg.d0097d09cbc7f235f770358078cd69cf.jpg

P1030492.jpg.5d87db50214c3bc42f195e6884c01b3c.jpg

P1030499.jpg.07c3aa5fa5595b5fb79e51d82297ac92.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg.54fa3b70c6f9bb21f4eff33123917aff.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg.2b4884b9b3045ebe2e1da603afa1badc.jpg[/ATTACH]

IMG_2894.jpg.ac2483de462d8d3d41f5b5c6b1de2183.jpg

I also tried uploading a short clip... (mov.) does anybody know why it doesn't seem work?

Also I have some questions regarding the chip size. I'm thinking about making the rakers a bit shorter so the my cut will be a bit more aggressive. At the moment i'm just pulling fine chips. what size chips is everybody else getting from their saw? (i'm running a 404 granberg millingchain)

Also I noticed that while i'm milling my saw is leaking oil thru the oil cap. It's leaking thru the small whole that prevents a vacuum to occur in the oil reservoir. Does anybody else encounter this problem with their 070/090 while milling boards?

Thanks everybody!

I wouldn't worry about chip size, as long as it cuts relatively quick and accurate. I would also be inclined to have a selection of bar and chain combination as the bar looks way over sized for that log, which looking at the boards looks rotten in the middle?

Mine is coming out next few weeks, big 5ft Oak fallen over :)

@ big beech,

ok thanks for the tips. you're right this bar is way oversized for this size log. In the future I will get a smaller blade to do smallish logs.

I uploaded my clip on youtube here's the link.

I'm not sure wether this speed is ok for a log of this size, but at least the 090 is pulling thru slow but steady.

Any tips/hints are welcome btw

Regards,

Rik

Very nice!

I suggest keeping a look out for either a sprocket nosed or roller-nosed bar as it will take less power from the saw that way. It looks to be cutting pretty well - as has been said you can make it cut bigger chips but the risk is that it bogs down when cutting full width so you need to be careful. There is also a trade-off between increasing the hook (more aggressive cutting, less pushing but a rougher surface) and decreasing it (smoother surface but more pushing).

Mine is now going to have to come out to play as the 076 has just started playing up. Overkill for what I'm doing (2ft oak) but needs must.

Alec