Comfortable 5/7 seat 4x4 recommendations?

Big J

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all the feedback - lots of vehicles to test drive and consider!

First one down - went to drive a Mitsubishi Shogun today and not impressed. No refinement at all (engine sounded like a tractor) and every single bump on the road was transferred to the cabin. It was a 10 plate with 25k on the clock.

Popping back to the garage on Saturday to try a Disco 4, but I'm very very cautious of them.

Basically, it just has to be very comfortable, 7 seats, offroad well and tow a minimum of 3t. And I'd rather not look like a berk, so the likes of an Audi Q7 are out.

I'd love a G Wagen Marcus, but I think lack of power would be a struggle and they are extremely expensive.

Thank you for all the feedback - lots of vehicles to test drive and consider!

First one down - went to drive a Mitsubishi Shogun today and not impressed. No refinement at all (engine sounded like a tractor) and every single bump on the road was transferred to the cabin. It was a 10 plate with 25k on the clock.

Popping back to the garage on Saturday to try a Disco 4, but I'm very very cautious of them.

Basically, it just has to be very comfortable, 7 seats, offroad well and tow a minimum of 3t. And I'd rather not look like a berk, so the likes of an Audi Q7 are out.

I'd love a G Wagen Marcus, but I think lack of power would be a struggle and they are extremely expensive.

Thanks for the review on the shogun saves me trying that one.

I think you will like the disco 4 just remember they are the work of the devil:lol:

The merc gl is supposed to be a nice drive and it tows 3.5 tonne.

The landcrusier LC3/4/5/Prada only tows 2.6 tonnes

Thanks for the review on the shogun saves me trying that one.

I think you will like the disco 4 just remember they are the work of the devil:lol:

The merc gl is supposed to be a nice drive and it tows 3.5 tonne.

The landcrusier LC3/4/5/Prada only tows 2.6 tonnes

The Shogun was less refined than the Navara, which isn't great.

The GL is pretty bling! :laugh1:

The Shogun was less refined than the Navara, which isn't great.

The GL is pretty bling! :laugh1:

Not when plastered in mud and dents. Still a tough truck underneath not like the disco or x5 with all those little suspension bushes that create great handling but cost a fotune to replace every five minutes when you pull a loaded ifor trailer.

Test drove a GL320 today (would have liked to have tried the 4l diesel, but none available anywhere close) and was generally very impressed. Extremely comfortable, quick and quiet. Just a bit bling and there was a fair bit of low frequency tyre rumble. Not a deal breaker by any means, just a consideration.

Have two Disco 4s to try at the weekend, so I may yet be tempted.....oh dear.

As said above, Land cruiser 100 are fantastic, go forever, try and find a low mileage 56/57 plate.

The newer 200 feels like a bit of a barge in comparison.

I was put off the great driving Disco 3/4 by Genset Steve's troubles and a friends. However, recently found out another couple of friends have been running D3's for 8 and 5 sheets respectively and not had any real problems to worry about.

I am looking for a decent 100, failing which I opt for a D3/4.

Have a RR sport 3lt which is just a disco with a different body, now done 90k and not missed a beat, costs bugger all to sevice it with genuine parts- sister has a disco 3 with over 200k on the clock also been ultra reliable also have a mate with a commercial flooring company that has a mixed fleet of disco 3 and 4 commercials that cover huge miles nationally and internationally with very few issues. I guess all makes have their odd Friday specials

On one Estate I drive a 59 Defender 110 with 6000 miles on it, abs light on, drivers window lets in water! Have owned a Range Rover etc. Went to Botswana earlier this year and was given a Land Cruiser to drive about in on sand and rubble roads but its still all together and nothing dropped off did 700kms over 2 days at one place. Maybe its our climate does things in?

LC4.jpg.8727d6647e6cc9fa9b6c9421609cdf81.jpg

LC2.jpg.f1fdae652691ede80ff40af3ab40d235.jpg

Have a RR sport 3lt which is just a disco with a different body, now done 90k and not missed a beat, costs bugger all to sevice it with genuine parts- sister has a disco 3 with over 200k on the clock also been ultra reliable also have a mate with a commercial flooring company that has a mixed fleet of disco 3 and 4 commercials that cover huge miles nationally and internationally with very few issues. I guess all makes have their odd Friday specials

I am actually a Landrover enthusiast rather than a hater but mine was mad. It was a mint well looked after never towed 60 k 3 year old vehicle. If it was a Friday afternoon job fair enough but so many people have the same problems. Reams of posts on front axle failure. The problems I had were common bushes, brakes, suspension, turbo, towbar wore out in about 5 minutes. Changed tyres more often than service. Door locks fail for a past time. I meet a few people who have no problems at all but I meet a lot more people who have had a money pit. Over twelve months mine cost 6 k in repairs and when sold really needed another 3 k spent on it.