Defender alternative - Ranger?

Sixstar

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it really work the re mapping? What's the long term effects?

Well the honest answer is I don't actually know but.... there is logic in it and I do know others who have had their old Disco's done and were very impressed with no long term issues.

Personally I'm happy with the standard power and only really interested in the potential economy gains but given they seem to be joint benefits then what the hell.... looking forward to pulling wheelies when I'm not towing!!!

I have a ranger super cab tipper 2.5 manual, it's the previous model. It's fine towing yeah it's a bit high geared but it tows fine it will just need a new clutch every seventy thou. Have no issues off road as has been said previously both landy and ranger have got diff locks and a clutch the only other difference is the tyres. The ranger seems quite hardy mine does not get treated nicely and seems to thrive on it.

The other aspects of autos is of course.....

I like that picture. The other day I was towing 3.5 tonnes with my 6 speed manual 2.4 125hp mud tyred 110, down a duel carriage waythen I went on a long run in my Auto 3.0 155hp road tyred isuzu trooper.

They were cruising at the same speed and doing they same rpm, but the trooper was the best part of 4 tonnes lighter!! So autos certainly have an impact!

As for alternatives to a defender, I'd say used defender:lol:

Or a d max, every other pick up seems over inflated and plastic to me.

Well the honest answer is I don't actually know but.... there is logic in it and I do know others who have had their old Disco's done and were very impressed with no long term issues.

Personally I'm happy with the standard power and only really interested in the potential economy gains but given they seem to be joint benefits then what the hell.... looking forward to pulling wheelies when I'm not towing!!!

I'd be nervous about remapping as the engines have been designed within the tolerances of materials and mapped as such! I'm sure as well that they are conservative in the way they map them so as to not have problems?

I would not do mine but then it's new and under warranty.

I change mine every 3 years as they are leased and I don't want the hassle if they break down at least under warranty you should be ok.

I've got a 57 ranger wildtrak 3.0 and had it remapped, it's better on fuel if you drive steady allthough the temptation to test out all that bhp causes the mpg to drop dramatically!

The worst bit about the map is the clutch, it can't handle it, when towing anything more than an empty trailer the clutch likes to slip under heavy acceleration.

Hope the new ones have a real clutch and not one made of cheese

I've got a 57 ranger wildtrak 3.0 and had it remapped, it's better on fuel if you drive steady allthough the temptation to test out all that bhp causes the mpg to drop dramatically!

The worst bit about the map is the clutch, it can't handle it, when towing anything more than an empty trailer the clutch likes to slip under heavy acceleration.

Hope the new ones have a real clutch and not one made of cheese

My dads got the new style ranger on a 14 plate and he likes it better than the old one he had before and the Navara he had before that

How does he find it for towing Richard?

I heard the older ranger were not great

It's better than the old one in nearly every way so he says.

He tows a 14ft flatbed with it with no problems and also a very big 2 horse box that has space for driving carriage as well. And thats fine too he also got a big twin axle caravan that toes well.

He likes it not brilliant on fuel towing but what is.

How does he find it for towing Richard?

I heard the older ranger were not great

By older Ranger, i take it you mean from 07-11.

I tow every day with either an 08 or 09 plate Ranger . One thing I always do is when reversing or driving off a hard surface is put it into the low box.Its much easier as they are quite high geared,so you are not so inclined to sit on the clutch.

Some folk tow with a vehicle with no consideration to either it or the trailer,this I think is the cause of most problems/breakages.

Give a vehicle time to pick up speed and to slow down while towing and it is a lot easier on your outfit and fuel economy.

Out of 8 Rangers that we use there are very few breakdowns,if any.Rear springs like any were replaced and brake pipes after about 6 years started needing replaced.

These are used daily and while not being as good as a landrover off road,no pickup is.The reliability far outweighs any dissadvantage