Rope Advance When Using the 'O' Rig

R Mac

Hi folks a newbie here with what is probably a stupid question but......

Just recently passed CS38/39 but not currently employed, had a chance to try out the 'O' rig and have just been practicing setting it up but haven't actually climbed on it yet. The question is, if I remove the spliced eye on the working end of my climbing line from the karabiner attached to the hitch climber to advance the rope my climbing system is no longer attached to my harness unlike when I use a basic prusik. I'm a bit concerned about dropping the climbing rope at this point.

Any suggestions apart from not dropping the rope?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of starter cord / bootlace with a dog lead snap or accessory krab from bridge to hitch climber as a back if it really worries you?

Alternatively, you could tie the tail end of your rope to the back of your harness while ascending, so if you do drop it at least you have the other end!

Hi folks a newbie here with what is probably a stupid question but......

Just recently passed CS38/39 but not currently employed, had a chance to try out the 'O' rig and have just been practicing setting it up but haven't actually climbed on it yet. The question is, if I remove the spliced eye on the working end of my climbing line from the karabiner attached to the hitch climber to advance the rope my climbing system is no longer attached to my harness unlike when I use a basic prusik. I'm a bit concerned about dropping the climbing rope at this point.

Any suggestions apart from not dropping the rope?

Use both ends of the rope to advance ie pull the end of your rope up to where your tied in (with your lanyard) throw your rope ahead ascend to that point lanyard in,pull up other end of rope throw ahead etc till you get high enough to get to a t.i.p that gives you the access you require around the tree.

You will have to carry a prussik loop to use on the end of your rope when advancing the working end(spliced end) of the rope.Hope that made sense.

This technic is used when the tree is taller than the length of rope your using.

Didnt you get shown this on your cs38???

Use both ends of the rope to advance ie pull the end of your rope up to where your tied in (with your lanyard) throw your rope ahead ascend to that point lanyard in,pull up other end of rope throw ahead etc till you get high enough to get to a t.i.p that gives you the access you require around the tree.

You will have to carry a prussik loop to use on the end of your rope when advancing the working end(spliced end) of the rope.Hope that made sense.

This technic is used when the tree is taller than the length of rope your using.

Didnt you get shown this on your cs38???

Sorry but I can't visualise how that would work on an 'O' Rig system using a hitch climber pulley :confused1:

Bit of starter cord / bootlace with a dog lead snap or accessory krab from bridge to hitch climber as a back if it really worries you?

Alternatively, you could tie the tail end of your rope to the back of your harness while ascending, so if you do drop it at least you have the other end!

Cheers, either opition sounds like a plan, leaning towards cord/accessory Krab but will give both a try. :thumbup1:

Another option would be to have a caritool or other snap gate krab on harness, when you want to change over tie a knot in tail of rope under pulley and clip into this, possibly easier and less in the way.

Alternatively, when you open your main krab to remove splice just clip that to your bridge until change over is complete?

The possibilities are endless :)

Bad joke mate.

Just get comfortable on an HC system first.

The fancy stuff will come.

You never, ever work unattached.

LOL, no worries :thumbup1:

I wouldn't work unattached, I'd definitely clip in on my lanyard before advancing my climbing rope but just didn't want to risk dropping it having been using a prusik/split tail where the climbing line always has one point of attachment to the harness.

I tried the basic hitch climber set-up but wasn't keen on it TBH, I really prefer the 'O' Rig so I'll work on it low & slow.

Edited by R Mac