Pictures from your chain sharpening.

Darrin Turnbull

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1456680483.806303.jpg.b57bedc0139dc3988c90f60e3dbf4add.jpg

Square Tooth Square Ground - This chain cuts 20-25% better than round chain. A square ground chisel cutter tooth is the most efficient of the three. It offers the best cutting performance of all the cutter teeth when it is sharp. This chain can be sharpened with a special file, but most pro users sharpen it with a special square grinder. It is not a chain that is easy to maintain for an average user. Its stay-sharp-ability is also the least of the three styles of cutter teeth.

I have always run in the past either Stihl RS or Oregon Full Chisel, a friend sent me some square ground chain over to have a play with. It cuts way more hungry than the Oregon and Stihl but does dull quicker. Its all part of my quest for a lightweight flexible setup. Running it as a skip tooth setup on lightweight Oregon bar mounted on my 562xp. Must say its pretty dam good. Ran it a few weeks ago on a 576xp and it just didn't slow down.

That looks great to me.

I am learning to sharpen square ground & it is not easy maintaining a clean angle from the top corner of the cutter.

Pete i have only just started playing with it, always round filed since i was a kid. What i have found is getting the best file is more than half the battle. I got some Bacho double bevel files sent over and these are far far better than the hexagon ones you can get over here.

Pete i have only just started playing with it, always round filed since i was a kid. What i have found is getting the best file is more than half the battle. I got some Bacho double bevel files sent over and these are far far better than the hexagon ones you can get over here.

Could you take a photo of the files please.

God I'm sad.....