Ford County or Similar

Highland Forestry

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

firm i worked for in australia had an old cat d8 dozer gaurded up for forestry with high mount 30ton winch on the rear for skidding big gum trees out off the hillsides. when you lost traction with the load up on the plate and couldnt climb any further u would let out some slack on the cable track forwards to a better position and winch the turn back to the dozer and ur off again. worked well on hilly sites but destroyed the ground and fire roads we had to trailer it around everywhere due to the fact its 40 odd ton and it also had only 2 uses. skidding timber and dozing soil. purpose built machine will do the job alot better than a conversion but if you have to do a multitude of tasks then its not an option.

i have a limited budget so run 1 machine, which is a mog. its been said before it wouldnt do every job briliantly but providing you know the capabilities of the machine your driving then its all good.

If you're looking at the crawler route, how about the new holland crawlers? I know that QTS use these on sensitive sites for mulching but i'm not sure whether they have the grunt to be used as a skidder/forwarder. I do know that you could stick one on a trailer behind a 7.5 tonner or even on RO/RO flatbed.

have a look at my self propelled woodchipper thread, you might find it quite good comedy:thumbup:

It was definately worth a few laughs:001_smile:

Heres a shreks wee skidder -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYaqkYKR1c]YouTube - berfor forcat 2000 mini track skidder[/ame]

Because it was making him so much money, his accountant told him to get shut or he would end up in the new higher tax band!!!!!!!!!!:001_tt2:

I know that feeling. I was making a fortune out of growing Marijuana, so the accountant told me to buy a busines that would show some big losses. Treework was the obvious choice:laugh1: