Morons!

stihlmadasever

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats one point of view and refreshing to hear,but you've missed the point completely,its not about being pleasant and being nice too people(i would hope we are already)its about people putting thyre own safety at risk by blatantly disregarding a dangerous area.

The fact that an entire area is coned off with warning signs put up and all safety measures put in place people are still willing to put THERE lives at risk to shave a few seconds of theyre travelling time.

But i guess you thinks its ok for people to put themselves at risk as long as i look cool up a tree while drinking tea and munching biscuits eh

Oh and my tolerence died yesterday when i was verbally abused for doing my job.

What if I said being verbally and physically abused is part of the job description and you just haven't been told?

What if I said part of our job is not getting paid for work carried out?

What if I said part of our job description is getting our equipment stolen?

If you are starting a career in Urban Tree Work you better get used to being abused verbally, you better get used to people not liking you, you better get used to people not listening, not caring and treating you very poorly on a daily basis!

Its time to get a new instruction manual, the 1 you are following does not suit!

This is what happens in life, we change direction but not our ways.

When you buy a new telly, the basic knowledge you have will get you by but the new TV will have so many new features you will never know about to make your to experience so much better because you didn't look through the new instructions!

When there is a problem with that telly, we repeat the same actions over and over again and still the problem is there or repeats itself.

i am typing this as advice do with it as you see fit:001_smile:

A lot of people in tree work seem to think you can pop up a few cones or signs and if people walk through them it's the publics fault.

I've news for you it's not! It's your fault for not putting better measures in place.

I've had the public duck under barrier tape, (tempted to use Police 'Do Not Cross' tape as an experiment), unclip orange barriers, heras fencing etc.

Cars will also totally ignore two way stops on temporary lights, stop go boards, the works.

As a rule the only way to prevent injury to the ignorant among the masses is to assume that they will ignore anything that prevents them getting to where they want to go or berating the crew for felling the perfectly healthy dead tree - because their opinion is so important to us:confused1:

Plenty of ground staff with the ability to manage people and eternal vigilance.

I have had coned off areas moved for cars to park after I have returned from lunch. I try and find out who the owner is first and if no one claims the car the tow truck is called and the owner and the tow truck can settle the matter. Of course the occasional theft of cones even on the job has occurred as well!, swines.

easy-lift guy

A lot of people in tree work seem to think you can pop up a few cones or signs and if people walk through them it's the publics fault.

I've news for you it's not! It's your fault for not putting better measures in place.

You could indeed get slammed if anything did happen, assuming measures to practicably and reasonably ward off areas were not exercised. Chucking up signs and trusting people is, unfortunately, not accepted - a groundie (or three) may be needed in particular cases. Better to overkill than underkill - no pun intended.

What if I said being verbally and physically abused is part of the job description and you just haven't been told?

What if I said part of our job is not getting paid for work carried out?

What if I said part of our job description is getting our equipment stolen?

If you are starting a career in Urban Tree Work you better get used to being abused verbally, you better get used to people not liking you, you better get used to people not listening, not caring and treating you very poorly on a daily basis!

Its time to get a new instruction manual, the 1 you are following does not suit!

This is what happens in life, we change direction but not our ways.

When you buy a new telly, the basic knowledge you have will get you by but the new TV will have so many new features you will never know about to make your to experience so much better because you didn't look through the new instructions!

When there is a problem with that telly, we repeat the same actions over and over again and still the problem is there or repeats itself.

i am typing this as advice do with it as you see fit:001_smile:

Being verbally abused aint and never will be part of my job description bud,the sad thing is -for you and probably many others on this forum-you've taken abuse so long you think it comes part and parcel with the job.

Why should i be abused for putting safety measures into place to prevent people who are otherwise too lazy or stupid from being injured.

Although im relativley new to tree work im 43,so im too long in the tooth for the 'joe public will take a giant crap on you'mantra,i know this full well,being a council worker i know how badly the public can behave when confronted with a coned off work area and a perfectly polite banksman directing them around the danger zone.

Personally i couldnt give a toss what the person on the street or in there car thinks of me,im just the guy who's tryin to keep them safe,if only they would recognise that.

I appreciate your thoughts and views on this,after all thats why i started this thread.

Too each his own and all that

Reading these posts leaves me feeling a bit shocked. Guess I don't get into "town" often enough......Is it a silly suggestion or would the final solution to this problem be mesh site hordings? No chance the public will make it past those.... I suppose its a toss up between risk and pain-in-the-ass. Would it be too onerous to erect actual physical barriers on every job? Im not being snarkey. I reckon if I had to contend with the kind of aggravation being described here I would feel it worth the hassle.