Mower Refurb, paint choices?

kentjames

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever heard of 'Oiling' the aluminium to help keep it free of grime and free flowing for cuttings?

I think this is taking things a bit too far personally, after all the underside soon gets filthy anyway, so unless you are going to clean it and oil it every time you use it there is really no point. Just keep it as clean as sensibly possible.

When we service a mower we pressure wash the underside and, when dry, give it a coat of waxoyl, even ally decks. Only takes a few seconds to brush some round, and preserves the deck whilst in winter storage.

Topsides are washed, any loose paint scraped off (or rotary wire brush) then painted with the appropriate Central Spares paint. technically we should use a primer, but we don't and the results are fine. This is done within the service price so we cant spend too long fussing around!

Bit sticky...... How about a bronze brush on a drill or grinder and give it a polish, less friction and will look good if it rolls.........:thumbup:

Always gotta have it looking good when things go wrong :thumbup1:

I think this is taking things a bit too far personally, after all the underside soon gets filthy anyway, so unless you are going to clean it and oil it every time you use it there is really no point. Just keep it as clean as sensibly possible.

When we service a mower we pressure wash the underside and, when dry, give it a coat of waxoyl, even ally decks. Only takes a few seconds to brush some round, and preserves the deck whilst in winter storage.

Topsides are washed, any loose paint scraped off (or rotary wire brush) then painted with the appropriate Central Spares paint. technically we should use a primer, but we don't and the results are fine. This is done within the service price so we cant spend too long fussing around!

Top advice cheers Barrie, sounds like a very comprehensive service you offer too :001_smile:

all mowers i used over last 15 years get same treatment,

washed out underside after every use and put in dry well aired shed so they at least drip dry.

come end of season i make sure washed out, run for a good while in dry shed with blades spinning to really air off, stuck away for a week to ensure truly dry.

full service and any repairs done, underside waxoiled. top side sprayed with light oil to protect in storage.

all mowers i used over last 15 years get same treatment,

washed out underside after every use and put in dry well aired shed so they at least drip dry.

come end of season i make sure washed out, run for a good while in dry shed with blades spinning to really air off, stuck away for a week to ensure truly dry.

full service and any repairs done, underside waxoiled. top side sprayed with light oil to protect in storage.

Wow your much more in control than I am!! I wash mine down st season end and paint and service them.

I would be washing mine everyday if I did as you do its just not time effective for me!!

Yours no doubt last years though!!

Mine would last 3-4 years I think.

But I replace after 2 years and strip the used ones for spares as I always buy the same again so I have loads of spares

This mower I'm renovating was purchased 2nd hand 4 years ago and is still going strong! The engine is perfect, just getting a bit tatty now paint wise. It gets washed and dried once a week unless its been used on wet grass then it gets hosed out daily.

You both put me to shame!!!

I really should try harder as 60%of my earning come from mowing.

Having said that I'm happy enough paying £500 a year for walk behind mowers.

The ride on mowers get more care washed weekly, and they are blowed clear of grass at day's end. They are cylinder mowers though so no deck for grass to get stuck to and fester!!