Mower Refurb, paint choices?

kentjames

Hi all

With winter coming i am looking at giving our Hayter Harrier 48 (old style green one) a complete overhaul and refurb!

I would like to give it a new coat of paint and tidy it up a little, the deck is solid and the engine has never missed a beat so its only aesthetic really.

Questions:

1/ Should I use paint stripper (or i can get it dipped for £10) or just rub it down with sand paper etc?

2/ What is the best paint to repaint the outside of the deck with? (Green would be preferable not too bothered about the speckled affect but BRG is probably the way forward)

3/ Should I prep and paint the underside of the deck and again if so what paint? I dont want the grass to stick so would need to be a smooth finish. Currently it is pealing quite badly around the shoot and occasionally clogs up.

I know the above is not arb related but since there are plenty of mower related posts I assume it is fine!

Thanks in advance!

James

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get it dipped if not too much to strip down and use Hammerite green, either smooth or hammer finish, similar to British racing green. It is used on the castings of my lathe by the manufacturer and tough as old boots and easy to touch up if required.

if you are getting it dipped check if they are using caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) as this will dissolve the aluminium and release dangerous hydrogen gas

Hmm good point, I'll ask them!

I would get it dipped if not too much to strip down and use Hammerite green, either smooth or hammer finish, similar to British racing green. It is used on the castings of my lathe by the manufacturer and tough as old boots and easy to touch up if required.

Thanks, I thought of Hammerite before. Do you think it will need priming with the red oxide primer before painting? :confused1:

How about a can of Hayter Green lawnmower paint!

[ATTACH]193786[/ATTACH]

Evening Barrie

I did see that a year or so ago and wondered what it was like? Do you reckon that will need undercoat too?

Have you ever used any underbody car sealer paint on mowers?

Cheers,

James

Evening Barrie

I did see that a year or so ago and wondered what it was like? Do you reckon that will need undercoat too?

Have you ever used any underbody car sealer paint on mowers?

Cheers,

James

I only ever use this paint, use dozens of cans each year. Its quick to apply and dries very quickly.

There is absolutely no need to paint under the deck on an alloy mower, it won't stay on long anyway.

I only ever use this paint, use dozens of cans each year. Its quick to apply and dries very quickly.

There is absolutely no need to paint under the deck on an alloy mower, it won't stay on long anyway.

Thought as much, thanks Barrie, will order up some of that before the winter! :thumbup: