Labour shortages

kevinjohnsonmbe

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill him for the admin time sounds like what he deserves!!

Bosses can be a PITA and employees can be idle..... Swings & roundabouts no?

We were working at a dairy last week, smoking shelter outside main office building. For the full period we were there working, there were no less than 2 people in that shelter all day.

That would mean that at least 2 peoples' salaries per day (it's a 24hr / 365day operation) are lost to smoking.

You could put that down to slack management I guess.

Not sure there's a point to make here, just an observation really....

We could bat this back n forth for ever.

Good employers keep staff long term, bad ones are always on the lookout for staff. Take Arbtalk for example, it's the same old faces looking for new staff all the time which begs the question, why?, are these businesses growing that fast that they need more staff every week/month or is it that they're not paying enough or are they total tossers!

I agree that there are bone idle staff, these would be shown the door in the first week, wouldn't they?

My old man (bless is soul) worked for Rolls Royce from the day he finished is National Service until the day he retired, one of my brothers worked at ERF, the truck makers for near on thirty years, Mrs Egg has worked for the same company for 25 years come April, why?, because they get treated fairly.

Look after them who look after you and you won't go far wrong in my mind

Agian no real point, just saying loike.

What's a Prussian schooling system?

We've been looking at primary schools this week for the little monster ready for next September.

I'm glad it's not just me that didn't know what a Prussian schooling system was...... I had to ask Mrs Egg.:blushing:

Basic terms....... It mean compusalary (sp) education.

Edited by eggsarascal

What's a Prussian schooling system?

We've been looking at primary schools this week for the little monster ready for next September.

The Prussian education system introduced compulsory schooling up to an age of around 13-14, that was state-funded and thus free. It taught, alongside core subjects like maths and literacy, the need for obedience and how to be dutiful. The UK adopts a slightly modified version (more so than the USA), though its similarity to the system is apparent.

Some suggest this system has lead to mindless drones being created with too much dependance upon being nannied and cared for, as the system doesn't promote either independence or free-thinking (some may label it indoctrination). In essence, a central cirrilumum is adhered to, of which there is no significant deviation from, unless you are a public (private) school.

School fails kids, in the sense it teaches them so much but prepares them so little for entering the workplace. I went to a grammar school, yet there was hardly any focus on how to get a job or anything of the sort. It was all about grades, grades, grades. A conveyor belt.

I can therefore see apt reason for why people of today are like they are. They are taught to follow. Not lead. So when we take away the leader, and individuals are left to their own accord, is it of any wonder that they don't know what to do and expect help? Because help is all they have received their whole schooling life, and it has been promoted as virtuous. It's like teaching someone English for 15 years and then putting them in a Spanish-speaking country.

Edited by Kveldssanger

T

Good employers keep staff long term, bad ones are always on the lookout for staff. Take Arbtalk for example, it's the same old faces looking for new staff all the time which begs the question, why?, are these businesses growing that fast that they need more staff every week/month or is it that they're not paying enough or are they total tossers!

I agree that there are bone idle staff, these would be shown the door in the first week, wouldn't they?

My old man (bless is soul) worked for Rolls Royce from the day he finished is National Service until the day he retired, one of my brothers worked at ERF, the truck makers for near on thirty years, Mrs Egg has worked for the same company for 25 years come April, why?, because they get treated fairly.

Look after them who look after you and you won't go far wrong in my mind

Agian no real point, just saying loike.

This all makes a lot of sense, however certainly in this industry good employers paying a fair full time salary are often left by short sighted employees being offered unsustainably high wages and or cash wages for short term/ casual arrangements making it even more difficult for good, tax paying employers.

Steady on eggs, like many that advertise here we are just looking for guys on away jobs for a few weeks here and there. Our regular guys hate the travel and working away so I try to get local guys as and when. To date they have all been grateful for the work which makes it a win win situation.The only thing we cant seem to find are decent machine drivers with a forestry background, very thin on the ground. No shortage of normal machine drivers though.

Bob

Steady on eggs, like many that advertise here we are just looking for guys on away jobs for a few weeks here and there. Our regular guys hate the travel and working away so I try to get local guys as and when. To date they have all been grateful for the work which makes it a win win situation.The only thing we cant seem to find are decent machine drivers with a forestry background, very thin on the ground. No shortage of normal machine drivers though.

Bob

Fair play Bob, I wasn't having a poke at you, you always make it clear that your work is for the 'aways'.

Many on here don't make that point though.

No offence meant chap.:thumbup:

[quote name=No offence meant chap.:thumbup:[/quote]

None taken eggs :001_smile:

I personally feel we short change the kids that are not the academic sort, many of these kids would be better off channeled into a trade at an early age long before they leave school. Perhaps identify them and get them into college learning practical skills rather than leave them festering in the education system where they become disruptive. The employment rules and regs also need a tweek to allow the younger ones into the construction industry earlier, this crap of being eighteen before being allowed on a site is nonsense, by eighteen most kids have got two years of hairbrained further education courses under their belt with the associated dossers mindset firmly in place.

Bob