Labour shortages

kevinjohnsonmbe

I didn't answer this until today as I wanted to confirm with my Nephew what he told me a few months ago.

He's a PAYE Upholsterer (hardly as dangerous as being up a tree with a saw, and nowhere near as much stress on the body) in his mid twentys with five years experience, he's on £16/hour, with six weeks, yes six, paid holidays per year, admittedly he is told when to take 4 weeks of those holidays, 2 week Christmas shut-down, 2 weeks summer shut-down, with 10 days floating holidays to take when he chooses. This isn't down south money, he lives and works in the North West.

Can you see why I think £10/£12.50 hour is poor in comparison?

Indeed, but my point of view is based on the current situation and what the market can stand which is what my numbers reflect. We deserve more than most trades when you compare the skill required combined with danger and adverse conditions as you have pointed out. But realistically most employers cannot pay £15+ p/h at the moment.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't answer this until today as I wanted to confirm with my Nephew what he told me a few months ago.

He's a PAYE Upholsterer (hardly as dangerous as being up a tree with a saw, and nowhere near as much stress on the body) in his mid twentys with five years experience, he's on £16/hour, with six weeks, yes six, paid holidays per year, admittedly he is told when to take 4 weeks of those holidays, 2 week Christmas shut-down, 2 weeks summer shut-down, with 10 days floating holidays to take when he chooses. This isn't down south money, he lives and works in the North West.

Can you see why I think £10/£12.50 hour is poor in comparison?

That's 33k which is bloody good money, that is a skilled job more so than dragging brash.

It seems that is in the range of what is being paid to climbers.

It would be great if everyone could earn that money. However everything would go up in price to reflect this I think?

That's 33k which is bloody good money, that is a skilled job more so than dragging brash.

It seems that is in the range of what is being paid to climbers.

It would be great if everyone could earn that money. However everything would go up in price to reflect this I think?

Careful, somebody will throw a brick in your chipper. :lol:

Careful, somebody will throw a brick in your chipper. :lol:

Why would anyone do that?..

Richard is comparing wage comparisons betwixt a tree climber and an assistant helping him out..

Where if memory serves you was looking down your nose at your help...had nothing to do with the description of the job at all..

That being the case why everyone imagined otherwise and tried to make light of the job description is a mystery..

Why would anyone do that?..

Richard is comparing wage comparisons betwixt a tree climber and an assistant helping him out..

Where if memory serves you was looking down your nose at your help...had nothing to do with the description of the job at all..

That being the case why everyone imagined otherwise and tried to make light of the job description is a mystery..

I'm not the one comparing.

It's just a fact that you can't pay everyone the same.

I was responding to eggs talking about his nephew being an upholsterer !!