Ancient woodland management

Hi guys

I'm currently doing my level 2 arb

Doing the forestry and ecology unit at present,managing ancient woodlands

And stuck on a couple of things ,so here I am bending ears!

I need 2 key principles of managing ancient woodland.?

Probably sounds easy,,but I really have gone blank!!

Any info would be very much appreciated

Cheers

Shaun

Hi guys

I'm currently doing my level 2 arb

Doing the forestry and ecology unit at present,managing ancient woodlands

And stuck on a couple of things ,so here I am bending ears!

I need 2 key principles of managing ancient woodland.?

Probably sounds easy,,but I really have gone blank!!

Any info would be very much appreciated

Cheers

Shaun

Ask The Village Idiot . ( seriously ) He has some woodland he manages .

Like all woodland management I would say to identify the key features of the woodland and to implement management to protect and enhance them.

This needs to be linked to the aims and objectives of the management of the woodland, be it conservation, timber, recreation etc.

Don't know if this helps ?!

Like all woodland management I would say to identify the key features of the woodland and to implement management to protect and enhance them.

This needs to be linked to the aims and objectives of the management of the woodland, be it conservation, timber, recreation etc.

Don't know if this helps ?!

I would agree with that, and also give a special mention to the ancient woodland soils. The tree cover is relatively transient, it's the soils that are truly ancient, containing the irreplaceable mix of inorganic matter, leaf mould, wee beasties and mycorrhizal fungi that is so important to protect and dictates the majority of what materialises above ground.

I would agree with that, and also give a special mention to the ancient woodland soils. The tree cover is relatively transient, it's the soils that are truly ancient, containing the irreplaceable mix of inorganic matter, leaf mould, wee beasties and mycorrhizal fungi that is so important to protect and dictates the majority of what materialises above ground.

Excellent post / thread...CPD / CPD / CPD.

Thank you..

Paul

Yer man Rackham always emphasized the range and variety of species present in Ancient Woodland and the range of ages of trees ie that there are trees of all ages present.

He would contrast this by saying that a planted woodland, in a hundred years time, will still only be a field in which some trees were once planted.

HTH

Yourn

The point made by The Village Idiot is the most important point. It is the soils which are irreplaceable.

The most often overlooked component of the management of asnw is site monitoring. It is really important to know what the woodland contains, in terms of species, and not just the obvious and fluffy, but specifically the fungi and bryophytes.

I have seen several woodlands damaged through well-intentioned but ill-thought out management.

To do this well it is important to spend at least a year, through all seasons, getting to know the woodland habitat and not in isolation but in relation to adjacent habitats.

So, survey and protect soils and features.