sub standard chainsaw course

hooch

If you appointed a training provider yourself, you should make your complaint to them in the first instance. Your contract would be with the training provider rather than the assessing body

Lantra would still be my recomended first point of contact as they are the course providers not the assessing body.

That would be NPTC assessors

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what it is is the guy has been using a saw all his working life and he is doing what he would do in the woods . Its like I have been driving ( legally ) since I was 17 and am 63 now . I would not pass a driving test today I am sure but I am not dangerous . Its not acceptable I agree and needs addressing as you are not getting what you paid for .

This seems to be a problem everywhere, came across this on CPC drivers course's where myself have sat through classes from 8am -5pm and other drivers have done the full block without attending, grieves me enormously has I have taken time away from my business .Again with Tickets for Construction same setup ....bent instructors.

Personally I would take this seriously and seek refund.

Ste

This seems to be a problem everywhere, came across this on CPC drivers course's where myself have sat through classes from 8am -5pm and other drivers have done the full block without attending, grieves me enormously has I have taken time away from my business .Again with Tickets for Construction same setup ....bent instructors.

Personally I would take this seriously and seek refund.

Ste

I attended my first module of CPC course today.Same thing exactly,some non attendees getting modular credit for not attending because they have course credit in another discipline.I dont understand it at all

Hi Hooch, The first thing I would do is have a chat with the Instructor and get your point across and let him respond, if your not happy then speak with LANTRA.

The dogs tooth cut is definitely on the LANTRA small tree felling course and should have been covered.

When you say the felling cut was taught using a pushing cut I assume you mean the pushing chain, what is wrong with this?

I use the pushing chain to do most of my standard fells because it is more comfortable for me and therefore safer and I achieve better accuracy this way, I use the pulling chain sometimes also, good to be practiced in both, especially when felling Chestnut Coppice.

Do you use the pulling chain to perform all parts of the cut for a Split Level or a Danish? I don't.

The site should not be left in a state though, the Instructor should be setting an example/ industry good practice etc, your guys should have pulled him on it at the time and cleared up the what they had felled to the spec.

Be interested in the Instructors response, keep us posted.

I don't know the logistics involved with getting it started but does anyone think that establishing a moderated 'arbtalk approved instructor' system is set up. If there isn't one already.

I could personally recommend a couple of instructors I went with and not recommend another that I trained with and I imagine everyone involved with this forum has instructors that they would happily recommend and then have a list of Instructors that could easily be accessed, if that makes sense.

I don't know the logistics involved with getting it started but does anyone think that establishing a moderated 'arbtalk approved instructor' system is set up. If there isn't one already.

I could personally recommend a couple of instructors I went with and not recommend another that I trained with and I imagine everyone involved with this forum has instructors that they would happily recommend and then have a list of Instructors that could easily be accessed, if that makes sense.

Great idea.Im onboard.i know a couple in Scotland who are excellent

Within Local Government training standards are abysmal, there are a few genuinely gifted individuals offering various "Officer" level training, and few less gifted delivering stultifying boring subject matter.

The training for the manual staff is far less satisfactory.

late starts, long lunchs, early finishs, basically pay the rate for the day and your raw material will come away "rubber stamped".

It has become a hobby of mine to ask "What is the %age failure rate on your course?", Generally met with a bemused blank look from the trainer, Failure?, Ca? What is this word?

Whereas the Driving test, for all its faults, has a %age failure rate, surprisingly high too.

I am also, not so humbly, of the firm opinion, that one should only be allowed say 3 or 5 attempts at the Driving test.

Then stood down for a minimum of 1, 2 or 3 years before allowed to try again.

Because some persons are simply not possessed of the skill set to drive safely, competently and not least, considerately.

PS

I do not possess the intelligence, aptitude or skills to be a Sniper, Pilot, brain Surgeon, etc etc.

We are all different.

Marcus

Edited by difflock

^

The issue with limiting the availability on testing, such as with a driving test, is the subjectivity involved by the examiner. This means the system is open to abuse, by default.

The answer is to do less in the way of implementing regulations, not more. If someone sucks at providing a service, let other people know and stay away from them. This applies for chainsaw instructors, driving schools, and so on.

If one person does it, it's difficult. If many people do it, it's easy.

I wonder how many that are recommended by one person are not by another cause they needed to go home early that day or were hungover or were really spot on cause they were being assessed.

Only found two in Scotland I would recommend and they've both retired.

Others have been training for 20 years but not been on a job for that long either.