The good old felling tree days

Stefan Palokangas

I miss the days where I started up my Husqvarna 242 and had food in my pockets and water connected to a rope in my belt. Measure tape and a log hook. felled the tree, took the branched off it, dragged it to a neat pile some trees lending very badly towards the power line so using the Attack, the Attack is a 1.5m tall iron square or round, you can extand it so It gets longer and push the tree forward. Just make sure to let go of the handle when the tree touch the 20k power line or you might be sorry lol, that fine touch and the tree glides down the power line unlees its a T bar on top of the power line post, then it might get stuck. Run away with one foot always in the air, I so miss this days. After each work day visit the local shop walk like a zombie arms and back feeling like a sore bit of muscle, buy a lot of milk and protein, get back to the resting place, mostly a caravan at the power station. I will never forget the day when it was so cold minus 35 and the gas heater failed, and I slept with the cutting gear on, woke up and my boots was stuck to the floor due to the cold. managed to get the l200 started out to work and made camp fire to get the chainsaws going. from this I met a Scottish woman and I moved over to Ayrshire, things seems so soft here.. Started working for a tree company here, and what the ?? hell... folks climb trees here... I asked to fell the tree, but it was so risky they said, I felled it anyway. a tree and a huge garden, and they was scared it might go wrong., I wanted to tell them I felled 50 or so of them a day beside a 20 thouseand volts power line, and once a year it went wrong. And here it was nothing to hit.. They wanted to test me, Steff the supervisor put a coin on the ground, asked me to hit it, no problem ! spot on ! We do things very different in Sweden compared to UK, but we fell trees so many daily and here you climb, in Sweden if there is a gap we get the tree there, no matter what.

The climbing is awesome in it's own ways, but I do honestly think you climb a lot more then you need to, there is a lot of gaps out there.

There was days where my feets and hand felt like they was going to fall off, and the only way to keep them on was to work hard very hard. there was no breaks other then taking the food out of the pocket, put the water beside the camp fire if it was frozen. And have a lot of sugar in the water to keep you going.

Thank goodness I have a stump grinder today and it's pure joy every minute of it !! :)

There is nothing like nostalgia for the good old days - but it is nostalgia isn't it? I miss tree work now and then - but in my heart of hearts I know that if I wanted to I could go back to it - but I don't!

.... prob best you never write an advert for 'tree faller wanted in Sweden'

:biggrin:

There is nothing like nostalgia for the good old days - but it is nostalgia isn't it? I miss tree work now and then - but in my heart of hearts I know that if I wanted to I could go back to it - but I don't!

.... prob best you never write an advert for 'tree faller wanted in Sweden'

:biggrin:

Even nostalgia's not as good as it used to be, Rob. :001_smile: