Trading Standards

Logsnstuff

I know there is no room for guesstimates with weights and measures. However all the log sellers have been doing something for a long time.

Maybe a crate could be made up in various sizes and bags filled inside this.

Weights and measures won't care if you give too much away! They want to know you are not giving too little unless it's a controlled substance like alcohol etc.

You could sell it as minimum 50kg (not enough I know )as long as people know what they are getting that would not matter. Unless you are willing to try and go down the calorific value route.

you can be prosecuted if you give too much away as it is not the amount ordered I have been told there is 5%+- above that your in trouble again.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite the same but I had a letter from Trading standards years ago asking for proof of claims I made on my website,

Such as insurance, NPTC, trade bodies i sign up to etc I just fired them of in a email and was all good,

Think it should happen more, stop the chancers and bull talkers and create a fair market place

Hi

Thanks for the info regarding regulations some useful stuff. how do you go about getting a pre filled in exemption form that VOSA / DVSA supply? if you know of any website links that would be appreciated.

Form attached.

When I said pre filled in I meant that you fill it in prior to using the vehicle. Not waiting till you get stopped & then filling it in.

Just fill it in & keep in the cab.

VOSA tachograph_exemption_form.docx

Form attached.

When I said pre filled in I meant that you fill it in prior to using the vehicle. Not waiting till you get stopped & then filling it in.

Really useful - thank you!

Even though it grates that you have to have a form filled in to say what you're entitled to do in any case but if it keeps the jobs worth from trying some old flannel it's worth it!

Really useful - thank you!

Even though it grates that you have to have a form filled in to say what you're entitled to do in any case but if it keeps the jobs worth from trying some old flannel it's worth it!

Most of the stops will be by normal police officers. They dont have the in depth knowledge that a traffic cop or DVSA staff will have. Plus you do get the odd one of the other two who is not up to date (like its now a 100km radius not 50km) so if you have copies of the relevant docs it can soon sort the issue out on the road side.

Its also worth knowing the O licence rules as they have recently been changed & now include any vehicle over 3500kg & in this case vehicle includes combinations IE vehicle & trailer. There are lots of exemptions but if you dont know they apply then you are likely to get pulled & a ticket issued.

Form attached.

Thank you for the attachment.

As you say most stops are by normal police officers. I've been pulled over a few times but never been stopped by a traffic cop so all they do is run a check and look at your licence perhaps at the vehicle too.

really useful - thank you!

that is not morally acceptable is it.

Some little kiddy laid dead at the side of the road, your truck and trailer loaded with logs off to your next delivery and insurance adjuster rolls up and says you"re not insured for that matey.

that is not morally acceptable is it.

Some little kiddy laid dead at the side of the road, your truck and trailer loaded with logs off to your next delivery and insurance adjuster rolls up and says you"re not insured for that matey.

You might have misinterpreted my meaning Bob (equally, I may have misinterpreted yours?) No offence intended. Have a care with your scenario though, it's sensitive ground.

Safety, liability, responsibility, morality are attributes I would never knowingly compromise.

I would never knowingly exceed what I understand to be the legal or manufacturers stated safe loads and the limits I am comfortable with are considerably lower - probably 50% lower cause I'd rather go back tomorrow than squeeze another 1 on top.

What I meant by "it grates" is that it grates to have to have a piece of paper to show an official to ensure I am able to go about my lawful business unimpeded.

I always read "Justme's" posts because he gives quality tips on driving / towing / regs etc.

Which exemption is meant to apply?

The first one?

"material or equipment for the driver’s use"

If you are transporting logs, to sell to a customer, this is not for my use, me being the driver.

These logs are for the customers use.

Also, as previously stated by others, firewood is not forestry, so that exemption can not apply either.

Most of the stops will be by normal police officers. They dont have the in depth knowledge that a traffic cop or DVSA staff will have. Plus you do get the odd one of the other two who is not up to date (like its now a 100km radius not 50km) so if you have copies of the relevant docs it can soon sort the issue out on the road side.

Its also worth knowing the O licence rules as they have recently been changed & now include any vehicle over 3500kg & in this case vehicle includes combinations IE vehicle & trailer. There are lots of exemptions but if you dont know they apply then you are likely to get pulled & a ticket issued.

On the 3500kg vehicle and trailer fitted with tacho does it need a speed limiter

Thanks