Is vibration white finger related to grip?

Steve Bullman

This might be a little controversial but conventional chainsaw training States we grip the saw firmly with thumbs wrapped around. After 18 years I have many many bad habits but one thing I observed the other day was how loose of a grip I actually have when using a chainsaw. I do not necessarily wrap my thumb, in fact most of the time I probably don't, instead holding the chainsaw however best it feels. So I was wondering how all this effects the onset of white finger, particularly interested in sufferers own evaluations of the grip/cutting style.

I must state I'm not advocating my lax method of cutting at all :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, I think it is semantics and word play. A 'secure' grip does not necessarily mean a 'tight' grip. Like you I hold the saw without wringing its neck. But I suggest the looseness of grip in this context does not lessen our control of it - and of course when operating grip changes to cope with circumstance and the cut progress. I suspect the grip increases as the cut is nearing completion.

A comparison is the 10 - 2 - 2 steering wheel grip; secure, flexible and 'safe', but not always practical.

In answer to your title question, yes grip can affect the onset of VWF over time, but it is only part of the equation. Temperature, handle diameter, heating and coating, and maintenance all play a part.

In saying all this, sometimes it is good to take ourselves back to the classroom occasionally....

Well you are not your own ,same here I have noticed myself not holding the saw correctly and while on holiday recently I had a play about on the High wire climb at Magaluf Katmandu and I cant do the monkey bars anymore. My fingers just cant grip tight enough to hold .

I do suffer bad in the cold with white finger too.

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID

Oh-i too have the bad habit of not wrapping my thumb round the handle

Many do, it's like they think the thumb along the axis of the handle is exerting some extra control. It has nothing to do with tightness of the grip.

The reason for having the handle in the crotch of thumb and forefinger is that any kickback is pushed into the joint and the saw and hand move back together rather than the saw sliding back past the wrist.

Most at risk when making a horizontal (falling) cut with the pushing part of the chain.

New saws seem to have fatter handles now,i sometimes grab my old saws for logging and notice how thin the handles are , you seem to need a firmer grip on them, so for some of the older cutters that used these saws may now feel the onset of wf

I cut my teeth with 154s and 162s awful av compared to newsaws