how to be safer at work in trees

Stephen Blair

following the tragic news and thread started by tomd, what advice can we give each other on safer techniques and working practices. any time i have had a close shave or a cut or a nick it could of been prevented by slowing down and taking my time, and i feel as a climber we spend far too long in the tree just to get the job done, rather than come down for breaks and nutrition.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don`t overwork! Most accidents i have had close proximity to are from people who are working too hard, too long, too late etc.

On the ground i am always very aware of where the saw will go if it kicks ( after an 026 came at my face :scared1:) i don`t always, on reflection do this in the tree. A friend of mine had a saw kick back into his throat from a tensioned sequoia branch. I think being away of where the chain could go is very important.

i work around my life as much as i can now, i am starting to go to the gym first, come home and have a hearty breakfast then go to work, and i plan on eating every 2 hrs, i am terrible for being in to much of a rush or lazy to make a proper packed lunch, and if i get hungry i get lithargic and crabit, so the work place can be uncomfortable for others, so i end up taking the easiest options rather than the correct and safe one..

The just get it done attitude, know your limits and never pressure yourself to finish a job as quickly as possible, just make sure you come home with all your limbs intact. Speed will come with good experience and safe work practice.

Its been brought up before but i don't believe accidents happen just because your working to hard or fatigued although it will certainly contribute i know that doesn't really make sense. In my experience accidents always happen due to poor judgement, or lack of experience.

I also nearly hurt myself in a Seqouia, I hadn't been climbing long and hadn't expected the branch to be under so much tension, it nearly threw the saw out of my hands, luckily i was in a good position and learnt a valueble lesson.

Water. Its a bit boring sometimes to stop (same as food) and get somone to send up water but dehydration really affects performance and judgement.

Its trick with eating. I hate climbing on a full stomach but you`re right. Its better to eat a bit. Maybe we need to carry little pouches like the first aid kits but with biscuits in!

sequioa is heavy and brittol, i have only done 2 before one small one pretty big, i always call my first cut into a tree my test cut, just to see what the tree is playing like and how the wood is reacting. i know if i am doing big limbs i like to be on my back foot as such, just so i can get out the way quick if i have to..

sequioa is heavy and brittol, i have only done 2 before one small one pretty big, i always call my first cut into a tree my test cut, just to see what the tree is playing like and how the wood is reacting. i know if i am doing big limbs i like to be on my back foot as such, just so i can get out the way quick if i have to..

I just go out on the end and take the weight off.