teeside biomass 300mw

Busy Daddy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say timber is going begging, for 2 years I have been trying to find a reliable cord supplier that will supply me with first thinnings at a price that I can process, store, delivery and make money. That is not £55 a ton that seems to be the going rate delivered when I can import kiln dried crated ready to sell logs for about the same price. I want to buy British timber, OK I only have a small processor so need 300mm or below, I know thats a bit odd, but I have placed orders with three cord suppliers in the last 18 months, all said they are shortly cutting exactly what I need, yet not one stick has turned up. Problem is I need it delivered over the summer as it has to go over 200 yards of grass to get to my stack of cord.

With the pound being so strong why should I invest 30k upgrading my processor set up when I can make more money buying it in. I am not surprised that chip for this plant is being imported, teh cost of timber in the UK is currently to high. There is a port in Teeside so it will be heading there I expect.

A

You say timber is going begging, for 2 years I have been trying to find a reliable cord supplier that will supply me with first thinnings at a price that I can process, store, delivery and make money. That is not £55 a ton that seems to be the going rate delivered when I can import kiln dried crated ready to sell logs for about the same price. I want to buy British timber, OK I only have a small processor so need 300mm or below, I know thats a bit odd, but I have placed orders with three cord suppliers in the last 18 months, all said they are shortly cutting exactly what I need, yet not one stick has turned up. Problem is I need it delivered over the summer as it has to go over 200 yards of grass to get to my stack of cord.

With the pound being so strong why should I invest 30k upgrading my processor set up when I can make more money buying it in. I am not surprised that chip for this plant is being imported, teh cost of timber in the UK is currently to high. There is a port in Teeside so it will be heading there I expect.

A

It's a nightmare. UK Loggers are going out of business one per week at the moment. The market for non chip products here in SW England is in deep poop and chip is just hanging on in there. So long as there are cheap imports this will continue. Just like food; people don't care for home grown. Only way to rectify this in the short term is to drop standing prices but with other "powers" egging on fantastic standing prices, the cutter takes the hit; that's why it's the price it is. There is a facebook page about forestry contractors and fair pay. Oh and another thing; oil price...

It's a nightmare. UK Loggers are going out of business one per week at the moment. The market for non chip products here in SW England is in deep poop and chip is just hanging on in there. So long as there are cheap imports this will continue. Just like food; people don't care for home grown. Only way to rectify this in the short term is to drop standing prices but with other "powers" egging on fantastic standing prices, the cutter takes the hit; that's why it's the price it is. There is a facebook page about forestry contractors and fair pay. Oh and another thing; oil price...

The pound is too strong at the moment really. Great for us if we are importing equipment, but that is about it.

The larger softwood mills have apparently cut back production up here which has pushed up the price of chipwood around here. Was £32 a tonne delivered last year, more like £35-36 now.

The pound is too strong at the moment really. Great for us if we are importing equipment, but that is about it.

The larger softwood mills have apparently cut back production up here which has pushed up the price of chipwood around here. Was £32 a tonne delivered last year, more like £35-36 now.

Exactly. Pound sterling strength etc. Crike, chip here is £25/t roadside minimum so delivered pushing £40; yes haulage £15.

Exactly. Pound sterling strength etc. Crike, chip here is £25/t roadside minimum so delivered pushing £40; yes haulage £15.

And here lays the problem, "logistics" . £15 a ton would only be for a relatively short haul. You cant start to haul chip the length and breadth of the country when its value is so low. The whole chip supply and demand chain would benefit if perhaps the rail companies could step in and transport this straight into the power stations. They are better placed for moving bulk around the country than trucks.

Bob

And here lays the problem, "logistics" . £15 a ton would only be for a relatively short haul. You cant start to haul chip the length and breadth of the country when its value is so low. The whole chip supply and demand chain would benefit if perhaps the rail companies could step in and transport this straight into the power stations. They are better placed for moving bulk around the country than trucks.

Bob

Euroforest have a private siding at Exeter and rail roundwood up to Kronospan in Wrexham or wherever it is. That's quiet at the moment too.

Euroforest have a private siding at Exeter and rail roundwood up to Kronospan in Wrexham or wherever it is. That's quiet at the moment too.

TCD I was thinking more in terms of the glut of chip in the south making its way north where it could be put to use without putting more trucks on the road. We live in crazy times:thumbdown:

Bob

Bob

Needs lateral or innovative thinking in logistics infrastructure (but it's not beyond the wit of man surely?)

Rail, canal, short sea voyage. Probably too many MSc 6 figure salaries that haven't got the common sense to look back in time to find the solutions of the future.

Whooooa! Nearly slipped back into a former life as a Chartered member of The Institute of Logistics & Transport then......

Now where's my chainsaw?