Woodburner with oven?

forestgough

We heat the whole house (convection) and cook all winter with one of those, generally get 20lts boiling water every evening off it for baths using big Spanish kettles. It does have some downsides however but given we got 40% off the purchase price via a french government scheme I have no real complaints.

What are the downsides and why not go for the boiler version in the first place?

Mine is a La Nordica. Won't stay in overnight but does all heating, hot water and cooking in a draughty 6 bed farmhouse. I like it, would have another and other than not staying in overnight I can't think of any down sides. Can't say I am desperate for it to stay in overnight anyway.

What are the downsides and why not go for the boiler version in the first place?

Mine is a La Nordica. Won't stay in overnight but does all heating, hot water and cooking in a draughty 6 bed farmhouse. I like it, would have another and other than not staying in overnight I can't think of any down sides. Can't say I am desperate for it to stay in overnight anyway.

Nothing really onerous; very difficult to clean top plate following spits and minor spills etc as it bakes on VERY quickly (might be a common issue on all of these types of stoves). It does stay in over night which is great but it leaves a lot of charcoal which means you have to open the air controls in the morning and burn this off before actually adding wood, great for getting the fire going again after a couple of hours burning charcoal but not so good if you want to go straight to a hot flaming fire. The hot plate covers are rarely used as its a heating appliance as well as a cooker, we consider them an aesthetic touch really but they do suit the look :001_smile:

Our house does not lend itself to a centrally plumbed heating system. Convection heating works well for us due to the stove location and house layout. Likewise I would buy again.

I have an Esse cooker which is the most badly engineered stove I have ever owned. Will eventually replace with an Austrian Lohberger when I get the strength to rip out this piece of junk. That said we do cook on it on a daily basis and it does provide hot water although not the central heating which they originally said it would be capable of doing.

• Like 1

I have an Esse cooker which is the most badly engineered stove I have ever owned. Will eventually replace with an Austrian Lohberger when I get the strength to rip out this piece of junk. That said we do cook on it on a daily basis and it does provide hot water although not the central heating which they originally said it would be capable of doing.

I heard from someone else that their wood burning cookers are not up to scratch, something about too many complex internal airways. The Ironheart is pretty simple, the 'cooker box' just has the flue gasses passed round it, easy to lift off the hob plate and clean round:thumbup1:

We have a Rayburn, it stays in all night every night, and can heat our 3 bedroom cottage as well as doing hot water, we also do all our cooking on it. I'd have another.... It is on its second boiler though as the first one was weeping at a weld. Its 10 years old and burns nearly a cube a week..

My parents have a Rayburn No. 2 New Pattern, circa 1948 vintage and still going strong.

AFAIK it is still on the original boiler and main components, but has gone through a fire grate about once every 15 years and the occasional fire brick.

It runs predominantly on waste wood, does all of their domestic hot water and convection space heating for a 30 x 13 foot open plan kitchen dining room, plus 90% of cooking is done either in the oven or on the hotplate. It will stay lit overnight but that's best achieved with a shovel of homefire.

If I had the space I'd have one in a heartbeat.