Welding advice

Andymacp

Upwards or downwards are both possible but much harder than overhead or flat. Downwards produces a thinner bead, use a higher current a go fairly quick to keep ahead of the slag, which tends to drown the arc,

Upwards use as lower current as you can strike, get the tip doing a triangular dance, one side, the other side, then round the front as if to blow the bead back up hill and into the corner. Very much harder to make it look pretty but if you cant get the job flat then it has to be done.

MOD dockyard instructors method was single root run first then weave as above. They used to weld nuclear subs so he showed me the strongest way presumably. Never got to that standard though.

Inclined overhead is reckoned to be the hardest. BTW

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see much here about what metal you're trying to weld? I'm an amateur but my first and most important lesson was whatever kit you use if you're trying to weld unsuitable / too thin metal you'll get frustrated + welding is all about the prep / cleaning / butting etc . If you're going to be doing lots of thin sheet stuff invest in a mig - lots of little welds like the car repairers do (in a line) keeps the heat, distortion and burning through down.

Edited by mikerecike

I thought I was OK at stick welding; found that practice was the biggest issue, the more the better.

However about 6 months ago I broke down a large angle iron crate to construct a frame for a pto based log splitter. Never have I produced such horrible welds, not even as a complete beginner. Feeling cheesed off I put the project down and gave it some though and it came to me; the crate originated in China, it was poor quality probably recycled umpteen times, dirt cheap steel.

Some times its not always technique. Although I still move everything to the horizontal wherever possible :laugh1:

I'm welding steel, mainly cut up i beams.

Piece of cake then. Have you mastered down hand. Nice smooth even welds with no flux inclusions? Watch the weld pool and keep it as even as possible for a smooth weld.

What size electrode are you using and what current setting are you using for downhand and vertical.

Try welding a corner joint at 45 deg from vertical and once you have a decent run increase the angle slowly.

Do NOT weave on your first run.

Try putting the Rods in the oven and gently warm them makes a massive difference, you can buy rods for vertical welding and I have used and have to say they are amazing ( Japanese made ) .

I only use 2.5 and 3.2 rods for general welding and low hydrogen for digger teeth .

Practice is the key ,strike the rod has you would lighting a match stick and if it keeps sticking turn-up the output but the rod end will become useless after a few goes if it keeps sticking so new rod .

Also try bending or shaping the rod to make a comfortable position to weld ,you will be amazed at the difference a bent rod can help.

You will hear the weld crackle smoothly when you get it right .

Ste

Anyone who knows anything about welding will tell you 6013 is also available as mig wire or tig filler.

I've been welding 40+ years and never heard that before, post us a link will you :thumbup1:

Mig welding you only go uphill on thicker than 5mm in my experience, not very often I weld that thick any more. Tig and mig mild steel wire are 70S-2 or 70S-6 usually or A15 tig wire.

Downhill stick causes problems because the slag runs into the weld.

Edited by peatff