Chainsaw Newbie - First time buyer, all advice welcome

bvfservices

I have a Husky 135, good saw. Buy from your local dealer I'd say. Mine was bought online but its not worth saving the fifty quid IMHO. When you take it in the first question will be 'where did you buy it'. If you didn't buy from them you can't expect them to make servicing your saw a priority.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a 135 online from World of Power and it came assembled and had been run and drained before shipping. I also bought a cheap old Stihl 036 on gumtree and did a few repairs and it's a good saw.

its a bit of a toss up for me between a new and a second hand saw. I think as a novice it might save me wrecking a new saw, getting a second hand one, but on the other hand everyone around my neck of the woods has 'iknowwhatigot' syndrome :sneaky2:

I've been told Stihls are cheaper and easier to get parts for, but i really like my 126hd husky hedgecutter. I think for the money and probably small stuff i'd be practising on a 135 would be ideal, and a good candidate for the CS30/31 once i've saved up enough (jeez, its almost a grand).

I'd definately look into getting an experienced hand to show me the ropes first, but my dads not keen on me getting any more 'equipment' until i get more space :001_tt2: So unfortunately, might miss out on the sweet sale price :confused1:

TwoAcres, that is a valuable point. The extra service is what is tempting me, and the fact that they're my areas main husky dealer. Dealers would be 230 on promotion till the end of the month.. ohh decisions, decisions!

Edited by bvfservices

I had to take my saw into the dealer on Friday - thats why I'm flagging up the problem. Its a little embarrasing asking for help from your local dealer when you've had a cheap price internet deal :blushing: They weren't best pleased to be honest and who can blame them. They did offer to take a look at it that day and give me a call - still waiting for the phone to ring ....

Ppe,ppe,ppe,training,training training,if you cant afford the chainsaw course,do you know anybody who is experienced to show you the basics, im sure they would be willing to spend a few hours with you.

Buy a new saw with dealers warranty whatever brand/model you choose

Hi

135 good saw to start off with, 40cc engine as well.

Remember that PPE is there to make an accident 'less bad' - it's no substitute for good practise but I trust you will gain that with training & experience. Theres plenty of good and bad stuff on the 'tube as well.

I would avoid starting with fallen trees (stated in starting post) - they can be dangerous as the forces are hidden until cut.

N

Agree with most, get a new saw. As a novice user you'll not likely notice any (potentially dangerous?) faults with a 2nd hand saw as you'll have no point of reference. 2nd hand saws of the size you're looking at are also often insanely overpriced, I've seen 2nd hand stihl ms180's sell on eBay for more than new price!?

As for training, F.R. Jones used to offer a "light" chainsaw course more aimed (and priced!) at domestic users. Not sure if they still do?

And get the biggest chinese ratchet cable puller you an find, and plenty of heavy-duty rope (not cheap blue stuff) and read up on rigging. You will encounter trees that are leaning the wrong way you want them to fall, or, like stubby said, are stuck. Better to pull from a distance than mess around close up to a dodgy tree.

• 3 weeks later...

Again, thanks guys! Absolutely loads to think about :o

Visited my local Stihl dealer, and was really, really impressed with how knowledgable the man behind the counter was. I went for glorious Aspen for my beloved hedgecutter, turns out they only sell Motomix (stihl product placement, eh? ;) ), so picked up five litres for £20. Will do me well i reckon, as the cutter does sit for a while in between loss making excersi.. i mean, jobs. Jobs!

My attention is now on the MS180. Any thoughts?

I don't know of anyone knowledgeable on saws yet, i'm basically self taught with my other machines, and mistakes i've made (not many, touch wood) have taught me well.

To save you guys worrying though, i promise to get instructions on using my saw when i get it. My wonderful girlfriend is wanting to get me one for christmas too! (She's a keeper!)

Thanks again guys

Your CS30/31 should be around £400 and will cover the specifics of saw maintenance that you wont know if you've been working on other 2 stoke tools. Unless you're looking to go straight out working for someone else dont bother with the assessment until you've got a bit more experience cutting and saved up for it.

If your gonna be using the saw long term or regularly, get a pro saw from the start or you'll soon be frustrated with a home saw.