T540xp problems

Mark Bolam

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clutchdrum should spin fairly easily with no drag.

The pump drive(worm drive) is a plastic piece the the drum slots into and turns the oil pump, if it isnt aligned properly when you tighten the clutch down it will deform the plastic worm drive. If this drags around the crankshaft it turns the clutch drum a bit like when the springs go on the 200t you mentioned.

Take the clutch off and you will see it.

It does sound like an issue with the drive chain components if its difficult to start with the chain brake on, wont tick over etc. check needle bearing(which you have obviously been greasing:001_smile:) worm drive and oil pump, if its has oiling probs it could be seizing up but then it wouldnt be oiling. you have to remove the grey plastic cover then the metal plate to get at the pump.

The leaking tank vent could cause some of the other issues as already mentioned, they do leak, husky have stopped them venting into the air filter on the 550/560 now due to issues.Long nose pliers will help removing the vent, really easy job.

we have had 3!! and they have all on tits up!! the anti vibe system seems to wear out and becomes overly loose, and the entire back half of the saw came off one day!! I think the build quality is utterly pants!!

have gone to the new 201tcm....seem to much better than the old 201, still not quite a 200 tho!

we have had 3!! and they have all on tits up!! the anti vibe system seems to wear out and becomes overly loose, and the entire back half of the saw came off one day!! I think the build quality is utterly pants!!

have gone to the new 201tcm....seem to much better than the old 201, still not quite a 200 tho!

I've found it a cracking saw apart from this problem.

It used to be so strong in the cut.

The only rear end problems I've seen have been caused by dinosaurs dragging the saw round the tree on the strop instead of high clipping it.

Aarrrrrh the 200T.

Stihl should have got VW to sort out the emissions thing for them and we'd all still have them.

I've found it a cracking saw apart from this problem.

It used to be so strong in the cut.

The only rear end problems I've seen have been caused by dinosaurs dragging the saw round the tree on the strop instead of high clipping it.

Aarrrrrh the 200T.

Stihl should have got VW to sort out the emissions thing for them and we'd all still have them.

There was a new ( 200 t )one on German ebay last week for 330 quid.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1443042905.160593.jpg.a72cb22b8f61f4547d77198a81556d3c.jpg

Thanks mate, I'll have another look at it.

The needle bearings may be suspect, I got them off you....

I've had that bloody clutch off so many times I'm really wary about the thread wear on the plug now.

It's a pita having to remove it every time.

:laugh1:

Have you tried reviving the clutch by just whacking it with a flat chisel and lump hammer? It can take a good few hits but usually gets them off. There are some indents on the clutch to do this.

I would definitely go that route if the plug thread is a bit suspect. I had to repair the thread on our 540 it's not the easiest/quickest of jobs to do.

i usually tighten up clutches by hand then the saw tightens them when running no? i think that is why the are anti-normal threads on them so they don't unspin when you using.

maybs snap the chain brake on when its running - might tighten it up

also air ratchet works ok as long as your nor totally numb with it